PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper motor keeps working w/ switch off...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Default wiper motor keeps working w/ switch off...

Its been raining all week here and ive been using the wipers off/on when needed, i have rain-x on the windows, so rarley do i need the wipers, came out today to go to work and they wont shut-off..........

They act like there in slow mode in the off-position, if i roll the switch to mist mode it works fine, as usual.........all slections work perfectly except the off..

Called Coral Hummer(2nd Home), they say the wiper motor is bad and has to be replaced.....$600.00 and allday to fix...WTF??

I can't understand how the wiper motor can be bad, if the dam thing works???

I would think it would be the coloum switch, or relay............

The fuse is on the drivers side, next to door, im tempeted to put a micro switch w/fuse on the pannel so if i need the wipers ill have to flip that switch to get power for the wiper motor and operate as usual.....

I hate to due this.......

Im one of these, TK/Carrier Refer-machanics who like it done Right.....

Any suggestions...........

Thanks.......................Rick

2004H2
2006H3

Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM

The module under the cowl got wet. Is it pumping washer fluid also?

Circuit board on that motors probably wet. Get to that board, dry it off, remove any corrosion fuzz/tracks on it. electrical grease the hell out of the board and put it back together.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM

it's usually moisture in the wiper module. The module is part of the wiper motor so the stealership will replace the whole thing. Had mine done under warranty and $600 is about right. If you can open up the module and dry it out and the coat the whole board...top and bottom...with something to keep moisture off of it such as silicone grease or liquid rubber you can probably fix it

Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 PM

Thanks guys...............Im gona let it dry out a few days before i start messing whith it, went down to hummer and got the tear down sheet from there parts dept, the Module is $126.00 if i need it.............

My service rep gets a percentage $$$$ of repairs he brings into the shop....

That answers a few of my own Questions on the service/Price side of things....

Have a great day.......Rick

Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM

You can let that sit as is for a week and its not going to dry out...there's no where for the water thats in it to go.

Buy some extra clips for the fake aircleaners and cowl- Your probably going to break a few getting that damn thing off. You'll see right away the motor, very bottom-forward is circuit board w/ cap covering it. Its like 3-4". Just pull it off and follow as we said above. I had corrosion fuzz and carbon tracks all over mine...

Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 AM

mine malfunctioned also, i removed the module cover and removed the water then filled it dieletric grease. it then malfunctioned a couple days later, i disassembled it all again and found that the motor casing seal was allowing water into the module. i resealed the module and the motor casing and haven't had a problem in 10 months

Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM

did it in my driveway took me about a hour . I wouldnt put elcégrease on it . pull it out blow it off. & seal it up around the edges before you replace it .

Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Default up-date.....

a few weeks ago, i removed the fuse to the wipers and let them dry ouy for 4 days in the hot fla, sun.............it must have dried out on its own, replaced the fuse and has been working perfect ever-sience.....

still working fine today...............

have a great day...................Rick

H2 2004
H3 2006

Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Pretty easy to take them apart to dry, clean, and whatnot. As mentioned above the stealership is waiting on you for this one.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Good info. Mine just started doing the same thing on the way into work in the rain. Wiping while turned off, acting all crazy with the speeds.

Quick Reply: wiper motor keeps working w/ switch off...