PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Really overheating...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Default Really overheating...

I have a 08 Alpha and two days ago it started overheating. At first is was not to bad but today the antifreeze was boiling when I got out. Temp outside was 95-100*. No hose was bulging, water pump is not making any noise, plenty of antifreeze in radiator and overflow tank. I was going to replace the water pump then I read all of the overheating posts with the tranny in hot weather. If this was my truck or any other car I have had in the past I would just change the water pump and be done.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:50 AM

I have a 2007 H3 with the 3.7 it 108K miles and it runs above the middle mark on the temp gauge in weather above 85!!!wish I didnt have to replace a 190.00 housing instead of just a cheap 20.00 thermostat!!! Anyone else have this issue with the 3.7 H3?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 AM

Only time mine tries to overheat is when I drive on the beach 90+ degrees.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Pressure cap test, is fan working right, is tranny fluid in coolant,coolant in tranny will kill it quick.
The only time I ever changed a pump it was leaking,not in my hummer, other cars.
Obviosly the thermostat?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 AM

This is my first GM car and my first car that the needle goes above the half mark almost near to 3/4 mark but everyone says its normal for this truck.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Devils Advocate here, what mods have you done to your Alpha Brian?
Same to you Todd? Is there a reason they would be running hot? Your not towing with them when this occurs correct?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Sorry this has nothing to do with this topic but I am new here and I'm trying to figure out how I post a thread on here about an 07 H3 a/c temp issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
Devils Advocate here, what mods have you done to your Alpha Brian?
Same to you Todd? Is there a reason they would be running hot? Your not towing with them when this occurs correct?
It is all stock and no towing. This issue just poped up all of a sudden. It was fine one day then overheating the next and every day sence.

Reading all the other overheating threads has me off track now. If this was any other vehicle I have had I would change the thermostat first becouse the water pump is not making any noise or leaking. It is deffintaly overheating becouse the antifreeze is boiling into the overflow tank and the gauge is pegged in the red.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Took the plastic engine cover off and let it idel with AC on high and it only went to just past half on heat gauge. Took it for a 20 min drive up and down hills and the heat gauge stayed the same. Let it ideal for 5 more min and the heat gauge was inbetween 3/4 and red mark. Turned it off and the antifreeze was not boiling this time. No tranny fluid in antifreeze or vise versa.

It does have the new style radiator in it.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Mine runs a bit over the half mark. I have the same truck and have had chevys all my life. I'd change the thermostat. While you're at it flush the radiator and change the coolant if it's old. Check hoses and clamps, change as needed. Should be good.

Quick Reply: Really overheating...