PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do? Leaking Transfer Case and Cerritos Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Default What would you do? Leaking Transfer Case and Cerritos Hummer

So I just took my H2 to the dealership (Cerritos Pontiac Buick GMC Hummer) to get an oil change. They hit me up stating that the coolant needed to be changed/flushed, Transmission oil changed, diff oil changed and brake fluid changed (supposedly dirty)which was about $700-$800 worth of work. I declined because the diff oil had already been done and it has had all of the recommended mileage services.

So lastnight I parked in the driveway and noticed this morning when I went out to the truck I had multiple oil spots under it. I hadn't noticed them before because I had been parking in the street and it has oil stains from other vehicles. The spots in the street where I was parking aren't many so it could have started prior to taking it to the dealership or its from the dealership.

Now shouldn't the dealership said, hey we noticed there's a leak coming from your transfer case? Or do you think they did something because I declined the extra work?

What would you do? Take it back there and complain about their work or just take it somewhere else?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 AM

You had the oil changed yes?? They probably didn't clean up the oil that spilled, which is what's dripping on the ground now. I've only had to change my oil once so I don't remember if you have to take the plate off to change the oil. I took mine off, im just not sure if it can be done with it left on.. If so, there is most likely oil leaking from there.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Whenever I get my oil changed there are drips under the truck. I usually have to remove the skid plate and clean everything up myself.

The place I take it says with the set up and placement of the oil filter it is almost impossible for oil not to spill. They clean up, but I always have to remove the skid plate and finish the job so I don't have any more drips.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 AM

Yeah, I had just the engine oil changed but my front skid plate is not on the truck. With that being said if it was from the oil change wouldn't it be on the front of the transfercase too and not just on the bottom of it? I didn't really see any oil near the engine drain plug and/or filter.
I'm going to get out my pressure washer and degrease the underneath and then watch for leaks. I hope it's just what you're saying.

Thanks for responding.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM

It's probably true that those fluids need to be changed. You could have told them that you already had the diff lube replaced and to forget that part. Brake fluid change is an often overlooked service but is important to do. Do I think they sabotaged your H2 because you declined the work. No way! I bet it's just like the other posts said. Residual oil running off.