Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Radiator/trans cooler blew up inside 🤬

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Default Radiator/trans cooler blew up inside 🤬

Out driving the H2 and the transmission went HOT and it started blowing coolant all over the place. Well, I guess after getting ticked and driving it home at 10mph (yes while it was pukeing all over the place and steaming) I let it sit for the last couple of weeks and seemed that the transmission cooler inside the radiator split and transmission fluid went into the coolant. So transmission didn’t have any fluid in it (it’s ruined) and I need to drain coolant system and get it cleaned. Hopefully nothing else was damaged besides tranny and radiator.

Has anyone went with an aftermarket radiator and just went with a larger or kept the same external tranny cooler?

not wanting to go with another OEM one because the last two times I replaced it (from leaks) it was about impossible to find plus I starting to think, from my personal experience, these radiators are JUNK.

thanks!

Old 10-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Same thing happened to me when I had my 2003. $5000 repair covered by warranty. I had to pay a $500 tow bill.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Most install an aftermarket tranny cooler and bypass the factory trans cooler. Some have gone aftermarket all aluminum radiators. The unfortunate part is, you may have coolant in your tranny which has the potential to destroy the transmission.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 PM

I had the same problem but I heard it crack while I was flushing the transmission. I went with a becool radiator and it was not the cheapest route but I still wanted to use the transmission heater/cooler in the radiator. I also upgraded my transmission cooler while I was in there. A few people here are using more affordable aluminum radiators and they are happy with them. I also flushed my system and went with Evans waterless coolant. I’m very happy with the end results and I will never have to worry about it again. Changed stat and hoses, belts too. I found a Mitsumoto after the fact that looks really good.