PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

water leak but sunroof drains are not clogged

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Did this a week or so ago, and so far so good. Mine was leaking in the front corners right above the driver and passenger grab bars.

I cleaned it out good, put some silicone down, put the plugs back in and then siliconed on top of them again for good measure.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Pretty funny how this has affected so many people, obviously not the greatest design. Just picked up my 06 Fusion Orange two wks ago. 1st it would not fit in my garage due to height so it sat outside a few days. Then realized we were getting a snowstorm so really wanted it inside so I took the roof rails off and that gave me just enough clearance.

Anyway, 1st day it rained and I had water coming down the passenger side grab handle onto the floor obviously. Its now in the garage and I have popped off the corner lights, have bought the Black RTV and plan to do this wknd. Really hope that solves the issue. This star screw under the light, is it readily accessible ?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM

I didn't do anything with the screw but also look at the path the water takes to drain and make sure its clear of dirt etc, mine had a lot of grime and pine needles, that track that water takes from drivers to passengers side and then down by the weather strip where it drains, mine was wet behind grab bar as well and all the way down under sill plates where you step into truck, I pop sill plates off from time to time just to verify no leaks, this is after I cleaned and silicone both corner light grommets

Last edited by yoymon; 01-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM

My husband and I both had H2's. I had a 2004 that I just sold a couple months ago because of this same problem. It rusted out the floor runners. It was so bad there was no point fixing it, also it started having electrical issues due to this. So we sold it. I was so sad. A car audio friend of mine did figure out the problem just before I sold it but it had already been leaking for 3+ years and the body work was too extensive to me to bother with it. He sealed the lights on top with silicone bathroom caulking and I ALSO had to replace the weather stripping on all the doors. (Mainly the two front doors!) My husbands Limited Edition Hummer H2 is now starting to leak so I want to get it fixed before its too far gone like our other one was. Best of Luck, I hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM

I just did this fix on the two roof exterior lights this past wknd. Black permetex in both lights where the wires come up through the little rubber cup. She's in the garage now so have not tested it yet but am really hoping that this does the trick. Should have her on the road within the next month. Just picked up an 06 Fusion Orange. Pics hopefully within the month with her new shoes on her.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM

I ultimately replaced the light assemble with a dealer part (~$110) in 15 minutes and was over it... Wish I had done this from the start.

Last edited by Man1nboat; 02-07-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM

As I said earlier I just did this corner light fix as well with Black Permetex under the rubber cup and on top where the wires go through. The fix has not been tested yet. Here is my observation. These plugs sit kind of high above where the water seems to drain. How would water get that high to actually get in that little rubber boot? Doesn't the water run under that boot? What am I missing here.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM

@Rags... Here's what I believe: There are a few possible culprits i.e. the seal under the dome assembly and/or the rubber plug shrunk, were damaged (especially the front dome clip) or hardened. In my case, I believe both which resulted in the water entering the cavity at speed and forcing its way through the rubber plug.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 PM

When I bought my H2 the first week I took out the stock radio and replaced it with a nice 7in touch screen Nav unit. It rained the next day, I opened my door in horror to find my floor completely soaked, and my new head unit completely destroyed . SO, I found this forum and thankfully fixed the roof lights with alot of silicone never had the problem again

Old 02-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Thx everyone...I look forward to the results.

Quick Reply: water leak but sunroof drains are not clogged