PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Volant issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Default Volant issues

Went to install the Volant airbox last night and needless to say the stock intake it back in the truck.

Basically the MAF adapter which bolts to the airbox is too large on the MAF side. The instructions say to remove the stock rubber seal from the MAF, place it on the box then put the MAF in and tighten everything down. I did however the outside diameter of the opening on the MAF side is a little too large. There's no way the hose clamp would cinch down enough against the hard plastic to even remotely hold the MAF in and seal properly.

Even after putting a ratched on the hose clamp I could still easily pop the MAF out with my bare hand.

I've emailed Volant to see basically what the hell as I'm very annoyed right now. Now to mention the rubber seal included to seal against the fender wasn't even sealing but that's not a big deal as I can just add another layer of weatherstripping to that.

Have any of you running Volants had this same issue? This is only the box and filter not the entire intake with the MAF and tube.

The only solution I can think of is ordering a silicone coupler and getting rid of the stock rubber seal so its more compressible.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 PM

Just installed mine last night, you really need to tighten the clamp to the M.A.F and hope it stays in place, time will tell.
I was not to happy of the fitment of that either.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Went to install the Volant airbox last night and needless to say the stock intake it back in the truck.

Basically the MAF adapter which bolts to the airbox is too large on the MAF side. The instructions say to remove the stock rubber seal from the MAF, place it on the box then put the MAF in and tighten everything down. I did however the outside diameter of the opening on the MAF side is a little too large. There's no way the hose clamp would cinch down enough against the hard plastic to even remotely hold the MAF in and seal properly.

Even after putting a ratched on the hose clamp I could still easily pop the MAF out with my bare hand.

I've emailed Volant to see basically what the hell as I'm very annoyed right now. Now to mention the rubber seal included to seal against the fender wasn't even sealing but that's not a big deal as I can just add another layer of weatherstripping to that.

Have any of you running Volants had this same issue? This is only the box and filter not the entire intake with the MAF and tube.

The only solution I can think of is ordering a silicone coupler and getting rid of the stock rubber seal so its more compressible.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Is this the one that was glued to the OEM Airbox? If so, I did have to clamp it down pretty good but went on easily. The hard part was removing it from the OEM Airbox. I almost ripped it trying to separate it from the airbox.