PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading to nav from a stock bose system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Default upgrading to nav from a stock bose system.

Sorry to post this. I can't find the old thread but I'm pretty sure that someone here upgraded to a nav. head unit.

I asked califphil? maybe a while ago but I cant find the thread.

after my fiasco with the helicopter landing next to me and blowing dirt through my ride at 140mph. my cd player has started to skip. one of the disks wont even play or load anymore. I recently installed the Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer and front door speaker kit that I picked up online for $299. would have been the perfect time to swap out the head unit. Never fails.

Anyhow what I'm wanting to do is swap out the stock bose/lux 6 cd head unit with a nav/cd unit from an 03-07 hummer. I might have to unlock the unit with a tech 2 scanner which I have access to.

Just wondering in advance what else I may need. a sat antenna or module?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM

No idea on swapping in a unit from a newer Hummer, but why not go aftermarket?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM

I've looked into this as well and apparently all you need is the GPS antenna which plugs into the back of the factory NAV unit. I think you need a certain RPO code but if you have a lux with a 6-disk like me it should be plug and play.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 PM

The main thing thats stoping me from trying to upgrade its what the guys at the dealer are tell8ng me is that they have no problem trying to unlock the radio but sometimes they had people bring 2 nav units and after a few trys they may not be able to unlock it . Looks like there are a few others out there trying to do the same ...

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 AM

I did this very swap. I too had the factory 6 disk (still have it in my garage too) and decided that I wanted to upgrade to the factory nav unit. I checked my RBO code and discovered that I have the lux system so I could do the upgrade.

Once I installed it, I also had to take it to the dealer for them to unlock it. Since I had a buddy there, he didn't charge me at all, it was like a 3 minute function right there in the service drive up area.

So these systems can be done. LoJack is right, you will need to get a GPS antenna for the nav unit so it can "see" the satellites as you move to track your routing. I got mine on Amazon. I have the item number for it if you need it.

Oh, and dont forget the DVD for the nav system that will go into your CD player when using the nav function. You can still use the radio, but CD disk playing is lost.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Fyr go on youtube and type in " isimple ipod interface hummer h2" you can control your music on the factory nav screen and go back to the maps window while your music plays . Ill be doing this if i finaly do the swap ..

Last edited by hmer; 04-23-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 AM

thanks for the info..........

My system doesn't have that isimple material, just the basic system.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 AM

I need to get this swap done, this is the one thing FYR has me one upped on.....hahahahaha

Old 04-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Ok. so I need a gps antenna, headunit and nav cd. Cool. Thanks. The rest of the cds stopped playing today in my head unit this morning.

I'm going to install an ipod adapter and xmsirius too so I don't need cds anymore.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Here is a link for the guys who make the ipod interface
http://www.isimplesolutions.com
9nece again if i do the swap ill be getting this too ..

Last edited by hmer; 04-23-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: upgrading to nav from a stock bose system.