PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Default Upgrade Questions

Hi all,
I am new to the board as well as the HUMMER ownership. I recently purchased a 2003 H2. I now live in Phoenix Arizona but am originally from Boise Idaho. Moving to a MUCH bigger city has its pros and cons. Mostly i spend a lot more time at stop lights. First question is:
Is there anything i can do, chip or anything else to help with city driving?
i also do not want to lose any power, as i love all the desert around the city.
My second question is for y'all. After the MPG upgrade what is next. Again i drive mostly in the city but do enjoy getting out there and playing in the dirt.
Thanks for your input

Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Default help is here in Phoenix

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the hummer world!

I am also here in Phoenix in the north valley and have an H2, if you need local help, please feel free to ask and maybe even meet up someplace public (like a restaurant, etc) and discuss some of your H2 questions or issues.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 PM

well there isnt a whole lot you can really do to improve your MPG..
there are quite a few options for perofrmance upgrades, which might help with MPG, but at the same time.. you feel more power, therefore your using more fuel = loss of whatever MPG gain unless you dramaticly change your driving habits...

tuners will get the most out of your vehicle. some canned tunes are good, some will need logs and adjustments until it is good. another option to a tuner is to simply get a dyno and tune done. will cost about the same as a good tuner, but they will do everything for you right there. now to find a shop that has 4x4 dyno around you.. thats another story.

my first recommendation, stop trying to squeez more MPG out of your H2.. it truely is a waste of time. accept that the H2 will get 10 to 12 MPG on its best days with city/hwy driving. some will claim more. They might actually be doing it, but chances are they are an 07+ model with a 6 speed tranny. anyone that claims more than 14 mpg on a H2, i call BS.

so once you have accepted teh H2 sucks at MPG, then focus on having fun upgrading it.
some food for thoughts..
37 inch tires will reduce your MPG to about 8 to 10 MPG
CAI wont do anything for MPG, but makes your H2 sound pretty aggressive.
court is still out on weather 4.88 Gears will improve MPG.. i havent driven enough yet ( just got it done recently) but driving performce has noticably picked up. faster get up and go from stop lights. shifting has improved tremendously.

i will run the 6.0L till it dies, then buy a big block crate motor and really give the H2 an excuse for having crappy MPG.

with 37 inch tires on 20 inch rims @ 4.10 gears = 8.9MPG
same as above with 4.88 gears = MPG has improved a little, but im also wasting it with a heavier foot.. but it was at 10.6MPG and slowly drifted back to 9 MPG.
alot of city driving and short runs on the hwy.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:38 AM

We love Hummers. Enjoy every mile you drive behind the wheel of your hummer h2. I agree with heelzarmy post. It’s a waste of time! I would rather quit drinking, smoking, drugs and kick out my Mistress or whatever other bad habit a man might have before I spend time worrying about my Hummers mileage and other blabla. Why Detroit did not put a Diesel engine in the h2 series in 03 is beyond me. Anyways, as the proud owner of a Hummer h2 an American Icon you are privileged to own one of the finest trucks ever build. Man, enjoy life the Hummer way.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Driving my H2 with 37 inch tires through the hills in the Ozarks I got about 11mpg doing 75mph.
The only time so far my mileage dipped below 10 was pulling an 18 ft trailer with a large rack that acts like a parachute.
I do not know where people get 8-10 mpg. Must be a LOT of stop and go driving.
Average driving means also 11 mpg and I like to stomp on the pedal once in a while.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by fyr145
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the hummer world!

I am also here in Phoenix in the north valley and have an H2, if you need local help, please feel free to ask and maybe even meet up someplace public (like a restaurant, etc) and discuss some of your H2 questions or issues.
I am also in AZ, far west valley in Surpise. I only regularly seen 2 other H2's in my area but have no idea who they are.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Default Phoenix H2's

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I am also in AZ, far west valley in Surpise. I only regularly seen 2 other H2's in my area but have no idea who they are.
Im in the north valley, and I make trips to Sun City to see my family from time to time, maybe one of them might have been mine....