PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Upgrade Grill Guard spot lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Default Upgrade Grill Guard spot lights

Looking for info on what can be done to make the process easier. My 05 has factory spotlights with a switch on the headliner panel. Id like to remove the spotlights and install and LED bar but would prefer not to have to remove the entire interior to run the wires to an existing switch. Anyone done this mod and have any tips?

If I have to remove the headliner any tips on that?

Thanks

Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Are you not looking to reuse the previous wire that ran to the spot lights? Check the wire gauge To make sure it will be enough for the bar. Unless the lights are not already hooked up I'm not following.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Factory lights are working fine. I'd like to use the factory wiring to install by light bar, just curious if anyone else has done this and if so did they have any issues or is this not possible?

I am fabricating a connector to go from the stock wiring to the new light bar. Just waiting on parts.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM

Chubz,

If you already have the factory lights, then you should be good to go. Is it the ends at the lights that has you confused?

Old 05-27-2015, 12:14 PM

The factory wiring has two relays where as the aftermarket only has one.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 PM

Understand now. I would imagine with the new light if it's LED that it should pull less voltage and one relay may be enough. Let's have a wiring guru time in (I'm just going off limited knowledge of LED's and trying to help. I'm punting-who is gonna run with this? Sorry I didn't help more.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:22 PM

Are the two relays to make sure that they do not come one without the truck running? I assume that one relay is for the switch and the other would be to make sure the lights do not drain the battery while the car is off. I never had the grille lights but I mounted two on a light bar I bought. I ran a single relay off of my high beams, I feel if I had a second switch that I would never use them, plus when the car is off, while the high beam stalk is forward (away from the driver) they will not turn on, but I can pull the stalk and hold them on while the car is off.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Helga She Is Fine
Are the two relays to make sure that they do not come one without the truck running? I assume that one relay is for the switch and the other would be to make sure the lights do not drain the battery while the car is off. I never had the grille lights but I mounted two on a light bar I bought. I ran a single relay off of my high beams, I feel if I had a second switch that I would never use them, plus when the car is off, while the high beam stalk is forward (away from the driver) they will not turn on, but I can pull the stalk and hold them on while the car is off.
Just an update. The factory wiring and button works for the new light bar. I made an adapter that goes from the factory spot lights to the lightbar. I think it looks great and its bright as hell.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 PM

Here is the adapter I made
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]