PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transmission fluid WITHOUT replacing filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Default Transmission fluid WITHOUT replacing filter

I just spoke with the local GM dealer for a tranny flush @200 inc the fluid
( is that a fair price)

They told me the flush will not included the filter replacement cause they do it by the hoses not dropping the oil pan .

The truck is 80.000 miles . Im not sure filter was replaced before ( I guess NOt) .. Should I pay extra for change the filter ?

The guy told me the flush will clean the filter too cause it got pressure so wont need to replace >>> Still not sure if works like that or the are too lazy to drop the pan and work with filter .

What are your recommendations

THank you for the inputs

Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Theres an old argument about rinsing grit off clutch packs. My own opinion i would change filter and forget about flush. My tranny didn't need rebuilt until it hit 150k then my 2nd to 3rd shift was a very noticeable slip, had it rebuilt and told the man i wanted stronger firmer shifts without going too crazy, now if i jump on it hard i can get all 4 wheels to chirp going into 2.
Extremely hilarious the look on peoples faces, like.... how is that even possible? lol

Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Ive been researching and so far 60 % of people agrees to drop pan and replace filter with the oil . And advise to not flush for many different reasons ..
Also found the fluid pumped is a "universal fluid " not the one recommended by the car manufacture

I got not doubt to flush it till the dealer guy told me the filter will be self-cleaning with the flush pressure .. !REALLY
Now Im in a middle battle flush or not to flush

Im leaning to not flush .. The fluid is still very clear and doesn't smell burn .

Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Ive been researching and so far 60 % of people agrees to drop pan and replace filter with the oil . And advise to not flush for many different reasons ..
Also found the fluid pumped is a "universal fluid " not the one recommended by the car manufacture

I got not doubt to flush it till the dealer guy told me the filter will be self-cleaning with the flush pressure .. !REALLY
Now Im in a middle battle flush or not to flush

Im leaning to not flush .. The fluid is still very clear and doesn't smell burn .
I just had my filter and fluid changed a few weeks ago. My mechanic telling me that everything looked nice and clean and that the previous owner had changed it as well. Knowing that right there was worth the extra cash. Although the flush was never discussed.

I personally don't want any of that universal recycled crap in my vehicle. And pressure on a filter to clean it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 PM

unbelievable the GM dealer recommend to flush but not to change old filter

GM maintenance didn't mention the Flush but they DO recommended to replace filter

I guess either the dealer or GM needs to change the procedure

Transmission fluid WITHOUT replacing filter-screenshots_2014-10-28-22-05-44.jpg

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-28-2014 at 09:13 PM.