PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transfer Case Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 AM

With everything back together, try setting the parking brake first, then place the transmission in neutral, then try cycling the transfer case from one setting to the next.Lets see if that helps it get out of the lo gear.

If not, them try releasing the parking brake, then drive a few yards in low, then stop and go back to neutral on the transmission and then try changing the transfer case after driving it a few yards to see if that makes any difference, its just that maybe it needs to be moving a bit when you change settings.

If it still doesnt work, then I'd say its time to take it to the dealership.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 PM

the motor is off the transfer case and is still plugged in. i cycled the buttons many many times but it still is not moving. i checked all the fuses i could think of and all are good. buy hand i can shift the transfer case to 4hi 4lo. does the control moter need to be grounded to the transfer case and is this why it is not switching to other positions.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM

It would seem that if you can move it manually by hand through the gears, then it must be something electrical. Possibly a bad motor, bad ground, no power to the motor.

As with any electrical issue, its time to start ruling things out one issue at a time.......I like to use a meter or a light probe and see if that wiring that connects to the motor is even getting power in the first place.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM

hi again and thank you for all the information. one other thing i can think of. It seems that the rear diff. is locked. i have cycled the button a bunch of times and it just blinks. if it is stuck locked that will make it to were i cant shift out of 4lo? and if this is the case how hard is it to put a new electric lock in. i do all repairs myself so any help would be greatful. thank you once again.