PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case moves to N on its own?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Default Transfer case moves to N on its own?

this has happened a few times in the last few days. I look down and happen to see the transfer is lit up in the N position. Operation of the truck remains the same. I press 4high and it blinks a couple times then moves up. Once it blinked then gave up and stayed N, I pressed 4high again and it switched.

I have no no idea what might be causing this.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 PM

min does it from time to time. I believe its due to the transmission synchro motor going bad.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM

I'm worried. I've had the truck less than a month. It's been in the shop for 10 days already and is going back for a whole new gas tank next month.

If in the N position, does that the FWD is disabled? What actually happens? Would I notice a difference in driving?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 PM

The transfer case is not really going into neutral. With the transfer case in neutral its not drivable and park does not even work. With the transfer case in neutral it can roll no matter what position the transmission is in, it will even roll in park. The only time the transfer case should every "really" be in neutral is if the truck is being towed.

There is no position that can disengage the front drive. Its all wheel drive all the time. The only way to disengage the front drive is to physically remove the front axle shafts.

My guess is there is probably a poor wiring ground somewhere causing that, the transfer case switch (the entire button module in the dash, those can go bad), or the transfer case control module.

Really need a Tech2 to quickly diagnose it. Generally only GM dealers have a Tech2 as they tend to be expensive. I did recently buy a clone one from China though. Been really handy to have.

Last edited by MixManSC; 04-19-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 PM

I called the dealer and told them. They haven't called me back yet. The tech said he had heard of something like that with the tahoe.

Can you link me the chinese clone of hte scanner? I've had more problems than I can count since I bought the H2, sounds like it might come in handy down the road when the dealer gets tired of supporting me.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 AM

This is the one that I got... they also have them for even less but without the case and the TIS2000 disc and USB dongle.

Vetronix GM Tech 2 Diagnostic Scanner for GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden with candi Module Tech2

It got to me within a week of ordering it.