PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock air box.....wtf......??!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Default Stock air box.....wtf......??!!

So I've been contimplating a new intake and have been researching every last one. I have used K&N in ALL my vehicles ever since I could drive and never had a single issue with them. Initially the plan was the K&N FIPK then I started reading some reviews on here.

THEN I decided to look at the Airaid Jr. kit with the tube and drop in that keeps the stock box.

My question is:

How the hell does the stock lid come off and on the stock box?? I can remove the lid no problem by wiggling it back and forth. To reinstall the lid is impossible. The lip closest to the windshield does not have enough room to fit on. I had to actually remove the 3 bolts holding the entire box down to move it forward to get the dang lid back on. I've tried everything and ended up with a nice gouge out of my finger trying to get the lid back on without moving the box.

Thing is, if I have to go through this much hassle then I'm definitely not going with a drop in and will go back to the K&N FIPK so I can easily pull the filter out to clean it (I have always cleaned my K&N's at EVERY oil change).

Thanks for the input everyone!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Do yourself a favor. If you get the K&N, order a programmer at the same time. The FITK kit makes the power worse as well as the gas mileage, unless for some odd reason your Hummer will be different and adjust to the difference in air/fuel.

After install mine, it felt like I was towing the titanic....out of the water. The power curve is shot and there is constant flat spots with hesitation.

K&N's solution. Unplug battery for one hour, then drive it for a few weeks until your return warranty is shot, then call them back.

I for one am actually going to order a programmer (unsure which one yet..prob cortex superchips) because I dont feel like taking it back out and sending it back. It's a great fit and looks very clean.

I wondered why K&N didn't have any updated HP/TQ curves since 2003. I think I know the answer now.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM

That's why I'm wondering about maybe going the route of the Airdoc tube with an Airaid drop in and not having any of those issues BUT then having to deal with the dang stock air box lid everytime I want to take a peak at the filter or clean it......ugh I don't know which route to go.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 AM

Well ur hp/tq gains will really show up from the tune, not the cai.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 AM

I had the same problem with my K&N even with the programmer. I just couldn't keep a constant tune. It always seemed eratic, running really strong sometimes and most of the time had a bunch of hesitation.

I chucked it and went with the Volant complete intake w/ MAF and I use the Diablosports Predator programmer and had Lewis Eaton on the Diablosports forums tune it for me. I run it with and with out his tuning depending on what kind of driving I'm going to be doing. No more hesitation, shift points are great and its fun to drive again.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by HummerH2
I had the same problem with my K&N even with the programmer. I just couldn't keep a constant tune. It always seemed eratic, running really strong sometimes and most of the time had a bunch of hesitation.

I chucked it and went with the Volant complete intake w/ MAF and I use the Diablosports Predator programmer and had Lewis Eaton on the Diablosports forums tune it for me. I run it with and with out his tuning depending on what kind of driving I'm going to be doing. No more hesitation, shift points are great and its fun to drive again.

Were you using the predator then too? Standard box tune or did you have a custom tune done? If custom, didn't you ever data log to work out the bugs and fine tune it? I spent two years tweaking tunes on my mustang, so I get that there are little bugs here and there.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:25 PM

thanks for the replies. I think I'm going with the Airaid drop in with probably the Airdoc tube. As much as I've used K&N in the past I have heard nothing but horror stories on here and other hummer forums when it comes to K&N. Also I hate to deal with these stupid stock airbox lids but I think its the better route than the FIPK.

I can't see spending hundreds of dollars just to get an intake to just work decent at that.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 PM

alright gents, what about this option: Airaid intake 200-183 is the filter and heat shield and the Airdoc tube?? Does anyone have any experience with the actual Airaid intakes as opposed to just the drop in filter? I would go with the Airdoc tube because I can't stand the way the Airaid tube looks.