PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Steering parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Default Steering parts

Just wondering what my best option would be for replacing my steering parts. I had one of the front tires jacked up the other day to check tie rod play and it was horrible. I can pull the front of the tire a good 6" back an fourth without the other tire turning. All the play is in the socket end of the tie rod. I am going to order new tie rods but would like some help picking them out.
I am thinking of either Rare parts or Fabtech. Which are the best? Where is the best place to order these?
I also see cognito makes a tie rod "system". Would this be the best route to take.

I have been reading about troubles with the pitman arm and idler arm on these too. Should I go ahead and replace this stuff too? How can I check if this stuff is worn out? Whats the best brand and where can I buy? I see Cognito makes a support for this setup too. Do you guys recommend this?

I have a 6" fabtech lift and I do go off-roading sometimes so I want some strong reliable pieces that will last. Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Rare parts tie rod ends and Moog Idler & Pitman arm is what I would go for.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Ok. Who has the best prices on all this stuff? Would you do any cognito braces?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:44 PM

I am with phil,

The Fabtech and Cognito tie rods are junk (made in china) and wear out fast. The Rareparts are the new way to go.

Also get new Idler and pitman arms. Really depending on the mileage you may be due for new ball joints too. Get MOOG everything. Usually you can get the best prices on the stuff at you local auto parts store (Advance, AutoZone, NAPA etc...) And I would also recommend the cognito support kit if you want to lift/level the truck at all or run bigger tires. I hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Damn I just bought a set of fabtech tie rods. Hopefully they will be alright. I will order the PA/IA when I get a chance. I have 89,000 miles on my H2 so I may be due for some ball joints if they haven't already been replaced. Thanks for the input guys!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:23 PM

I bought all MOOG idler, pitman, tierods and they are fine. I was wondering if the cognito idler and pitman arms support kit would actually help. i'm running 22" rims with 35" tires and from the little research i've done, they said GM/Hummer front ends wears out the arms and tierods quick. Any ideas?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Thumbs up Cognito / RockAuto

I have has a Cognito Motorsports 2"-3" lift kit with upper control arms on my Chevy 2500HD for about 90,000 miles. With 285/75-16 (33") tires I have 12" clearance under front skid plate. I added the Cognito idler and pitman arm support at the same time. I like the lift and the ride quality.

I have had to replace the upper ball joints every ~50,000 miles. The ones that come on the Cognito upper control arms for my 8-lug 3/4 ton GM vehicles are standard Moog ball joints for 1/2 ton pickups. I asked Chad why he uses 1/2 ton ball joints for 3/4 ton vehicles and I forget what reason he gave. I have not had to replace the idler and pitman arms - not sure if that is a testament to the Cognito supports or not.

Whenever I lift my IFS GM vehicles I seem to get inner tire wear even though I have frequent alignments and rotate and balance the tires frequently. I use my 2500HD regularly in forestry work, off road, towing, etc.

A good source of standard name brand replacement parts at great prices is www.RockAuto.com.

On my 2008 H2 I just put some green keys on the front, had the alignment man crank the front up 2", and added 2" lift spacers under rear coil springs. With stock 35" (315) tires, I only have about 11" clearance under front skid plate, about 1" above stock. I was a little disappointed on mild clearance gain, but it does look healthier - makes the whole truck sit up more.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Does anyone have vibration at 65-70mph? I have 22" with 35x12.5 tires and having vibration issues. I had the tires balanced and alignment done. Prior to this, i change the tierods, idler arm, and pitman arm. I have bought new shocks (Rancho 9000) and their steering stabilizer to be replaced as soon as i get them. I hope this fixes the vibration/shimmy. ANy thoughts?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cypress KC
Does anyone have vibration at 65-70mph? I have 22" with 35x12.5 tires and having vibration issues. I had the tires balanced and alignment done. Prior to this, i change the tierods, idler arm, and pitman arm. I have bought new shocks (Rancho 9000) and their steering stabilizer to be replaced as soon as i get them. I hope this fixes the vibration/shimmy. ANy thoughts?
Its most likely a wheel bearing or two

Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 AM

OK...i think i just hi jacked this thread. I just installed some Rancho 9000XL and i still have vibration at 65mph. I had it balanced again and they said it was all balanaced. I notice that there were a lot of weights on the rims, about 16oz and in 1 case 20 oz on each tire. This seems excessive to me. I jacked up the front end and tried to shake the tire to check the bearings but the wheel is tight with only play with the steering. Should i change out the bearing anyways? These are new tires and it seems i'm spending way to much to accomodate these. Maybe i should cut my losses and put the original OEM wheels back on.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Steering parts