PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Default Squeaking noise

A week ago, I heard squeaking noise when I step on the gas. On idle it doesn't make a sound but only when I'm on the throttle. I took it to the dealer this morning to have it checked thinking the belt probably needs to be replaced. The service advisor who always takes care of me came back and said the harmonic balancer needs to be replaced and since they're going to do that, they might as well replace the other belts. The price $635 including labor. They don't have the balancer in stock so they need to order. My question is, is the dealer just trying to make $$ of me bc according to a buddy of mine, if it was the harmonic balancer, it will make a knocking sound and the squeaking sound is usually just the belt. Please help, I need your expertise before I order the part and take it back to the dealer. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:01 PM

you could just put a belt on and see if that's what the problem really is, if it needs a balancer as well that is about what a dealer charges price wise normally, ive heard of the balancers coming apart on certain gm vehicles but haven't read that being a common problem with h2, id be more inclined to think belt or tensioner, or ac compressor (mine ac compressor is starting to do that)

Last edited by yoymon; 03-28-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:09 AM

ninja if the balancer is your problem that price is not bad at all . in my case i started to get similar symtoms in my case the noise was coming from the tensioner looks like the small bearing in the tensioner was giving up and thats where my noise was coming from ,i waited too long and not too far from the house the tensioner broke so a new belt and tensioner solved the problem for me .

Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys! I'll probably let the dealer take care of it since you guys think the $$ price is reasonable