PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Default Sound deadening

Im finally in the process of replacing the speakers and doing the sound deadening work on the doors

Question .. Is there a reason the deadening material is placed on the door and not on the door plastic panel .

Im just wondering if it makes sense to cover the inside of the panel to avoid some of the rattler noise from the cheap plastic
Plus replacing a window regulator will be easier than cover the door
Will the deadening mat stick on the plastic panel
Any thoughts

Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 AM

Hey, i'e just been through all of this, check my thread. You want the sound deadening on both surfaces if possible. if you can seal up the skin of the door to create a cavity it will improve bass response and hopefully remove vibration. I had thicker sound deadening put behind the speaker on the inside of the outer skin, and then on both sides of where the speaker mounts (the inner skin). Suggest you also use a speaker ring to mount the speaker to and then mount the ring to the door. If you use MDF coat it in something to stop it going mouldy, but plastic can be better. You can put some sound deadening on the inside of the door panel in parts also, but the shop where i had mine done, used some heavy felt like material to isolate the panel from the door skin. It sounds great what they've done.

See here for pics...
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...e-heavy-37399/

Old 01-11-2017, 01:31 AM

Also here's a not so good picture of the door being sealed, but you can look for it on instagram...

Name:  IMG_4602_zps1ufpdrqm.png
Views: 458
Size:  563.0 KB

Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM

Thanks for your response about the speakers. Just saw your Pm

Wow that was a huge project. I bet not only the music but the whole ride feels different , Wish I can do it lime that but not possible right now

I'm going to get enough material to cover the inner and outer door panel and some for the plastic panels
Saw an online video showing how to cover the hole to work the window regulator with a screw panel which can be removed in case of repair needed

Yes I'm going with the rings u recommend looks like an easy way to improve.
I will also try to add some deadening under the front mat to stop some of the road/ tires noise

Btw what headunit you got . I got a Kenwood but not happy with it . Planning to get a pioneer or alpine

Thx

Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 AM

I just want to pop my head & in ask a quick question.

1. Is there a general consensus of what the max thickness that you can squeeze in there?

Baldfox, I was looking at your thread & the questions I asked. I think the thickest that your sound deadening material could be was 4cm. I've seen 6cm. I assume the thicker, the better, assuming it fits.

2. In areas with large cavities (doors, specifically, the rear door), is there a benefit to filling the cavity with some sort of insulating material? Another way to look at it, is that just a waste since it would be the "strongest" link in the insulation chain? I'm curious since that's an entire side of the vehicle & some *** behind me with a radio way too loud would not even be noticeable.

Miama, his unit is: Pioneer head unit AVH-X8800BT
That's an international unit. It looks simliar to the AVIC-8200NEX/8201NEX. A lot of the AVH units in America look to be lower end than the AVIC units.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 AM

Hey, Synthetic is correct, mine is an 8800BT.
I'm pleased with it, does everything i wanted it to do. Most important for me i have 3 cameras now... the hitch cam (oem) works in the mirror like before. I managed to wire a front camera into AV2 input, and i also have the standard reverse cam on my license plate now, so makes it easier to move around.

Re thickness, i think i have 3mm, but double layered in certain areas... if you were to fill the cavity with material, thereby slowing the sound waves, i think theroetically, it would make the speakers behave like they were in a larger enclosure,
but
a) You need to have room for the windows to move up and down
b) The material could get wet and start rotting.

To be honest if you put any decent speaker in that door, and drive it with a proper amp I think you'd be more than impressed with the results.

My mid bass is awesome now. I would have definitely tried the speaker rings out, i like the idea...

Also it's strange, the sound deadening makes a big difference just in general. I mean, i only listen to the radio max 30%. It's still an aerodynamic brick so you do get wind noise on the front windscreen on the highway, but sitting in traffic it's quieter. I am toying with the idea of putting some sound deadening underneath the hood also. I'm just not sure if it will contribute to higher engine temperatures etc... I can still hear my airdoc/headers/borla when i get on it though

Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 AM

I just got the Hertz speakers . Honestly Im not too sure if these are the right ones . I should had spend a few more bucks and go with the pro's . Hopefully it will sound the way Im wishing
Also got the foam rings . Which seems great .
Will stop on the car accessory shop tomorrow to check how much is the sound dead job . They use Dynamat .
I see complains from people living in hot weathers (like Florida) the other brands wont hold on high temperatures with the glue causing a mess .

For now Im keeping my headunit which sound ok but Gps got problems (kenwood) and I like a lot my Amp (pioneer)

Also thinking about adding either a powered sub woofer or a mono amp with a small sub . If needed after the speaker switch

Btw what do you think about Focals speaker

Old 01-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
I just got the Hertz speakers . Honestly Im not too sure if these are the right ones . I should had spend a few more bucks and go with the pro's . Hopefully it will sound the way Im wishing
Also got the foam rings . Which seems great .
Will stop on the car accessory shop tomorrow to check how much is the sound dead job . They use Dynamat .
I see complains from people living in hot weathers (like Florida) the other brands wont hold on high temperatures with the glue causing a mess .

For now Im keeping my headunit which sound ok but Gps got problems (kenwood) and I like a lot my Amp (pioneer)

Also thinking about adding either a powered sub woofer or a mono amp with a small sub . If needed after the speaker switch

Btw what do you think about Focals speaker

Focal supposed to be very good. I think probably very similar in brand/quality/price etc to Hertz. I've never heard them but am sure they're a good buy. I see a lot of modified cars running them. If you're going to go with a sub, do a separate box and amp.. that way you can switch either out in the future. I've never seen a powered sub that could compare.
Am sure the hertz speakers you've got will be great. Just make sure you run a decent amp through them.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Baldfox
Focal supposed to be very good. I think probably very similar in brand/quality/price etc to Hertz. I've never heard them but am sure they're a good buy. I see a lot of modified cars running them. If you're going to go with a sub, do a separate box and amp.. that way you can switch either out in the future. I've never seen a powered sub that could compare.
Am sure the hertz speakers you've got will be great. JusI'llt make sure you run a decent amp through them.
Maybe Im just a little freak out like some.reviews I read in Amazon I was hoping a less cheap.look speaker however my expectations are better after reading people with the same first impression .
Some reviewers state even the speaker looks cheap it sound excellent. Much better than many brands.

Also the rings and deadening will do the improvement

About the sub. I agree a separate sub/ amp Is a better choice but with very limited space may not be possible. A powered sub will fit under the seat.
Not looking for audiophile sound but only to get a quality sound. Either way will wait for the new speaker test before move to the sub
Thx

Old 01-16-2017, 04:07 AM

I think if you get the deadening done right, you might be suprised with the amount of midbass the doors will kick out. For me it was a huge improvement over stock. My door speakers alone beat the bose system + bose oem sub on the bass front. That being said i like electronic music, and wanted the extra drop from a sub. I sacrificed the jack stand for mine and built my sub into the side wall (i paid for custom though) as i have the third row seats in mine.. if i didn't have captain chairs for the middle row, i would have probably looked for one of those enclosure like below:

Hummer H2 150W Rockford Fosgate Audio Upgrade Kit

I would have replaced the sub and the amp with something more meaningful.

Alternatively, if you have an earlier model h2, the rear trim on the drivers side, gives you some space for a subwoofer to mount on top of that.I even thought about getting a small box mounted on top of the cupholders so the whole thing can slot in or out of the side trim, but then thought against it due to potential rattling...