PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sooo check engine light is on

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Default Sooo check engine light is on

Yesterday morning i was driving my wifes H2 and the check fuel cap signal came on, so when i got to my destination i opened and closed it and the light went away, but this morning i was driving it again and it came back on and i know for a fact the cap is on securely, so i ignored it and then later today the check engine light came on, what do you guys suggest

Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Sooo check engine light is on

do you have access to a programmer that can read the codes? if you can get the code off the truck and post it, i can tell you what it's for. other than that, i would try the fuel cap again. check to see if there's a buildup on the threads of the filler tube that may be causing it to not seat properly.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM

No sorry I dont have a programmer although now i wish i did, but the check gas cap text is gone and it has turned into a check engine light, when i checked the gas cap the first time i whipped it all down

Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM

it's still worth a try reseating the cap. i'm not sure how many you need to go through, but the truck will reset the light on a certain number of ignition cycles where the error isn't present, it typically doesn't shut off on the first try. other than that, if you have any mechanic friends, or are on good terms with the local service department, they may be able to read the code for you. the benfit of the programmer is that you can also clear the codes (you have to in order to proceed on any of the programming).

Old 01-11-2008, 03:49 PM

alright i guess ill try that, the manual mentioned emissions alot with the check engine light actually thats pretty much all it talked about

Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM

there are multiple codes that will make the check engine light come on, and while there are a lot in connection to the emission system, it could be any number of other issues. however, since you got the "gas cap" indicator that's most likely at least part of the cause. the majority of the error codes will reset after 3 ignition cycles where the diagnostic check comes back clean. it may be as simple as starting the engine a few times to clear it. let us know how things turn out.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

or the cheap check is to disconnet the battery... if it really was the cap.. The CEI won't come back on.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 PM

will try, im gonna be pretty mad if its something serious the truck is a little of a year old (year and 3 months) and has 9000 miles on it its not even a daily driver

Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 PM

not sure if this helps, but I got the CEL as well on my '08 H2 for no reason, or so I think. After about 2 days and about 10 ignition starts, the light went away.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

If it is a year old and 9000 miles it should be under warranty. Also if you have the Onstar service they can run a diagnostic for while you are on the Onstar phone with them.

Quick Reply: Sooo check engine light is on