PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I just picked up my new-to-me '05 H2...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Default So I just picked up my new-to-me '05 H2...

So I just picked up my new-to-me '05 H2, and it appears to have most of the usual issues:

Engine surge around 1500rpm especially at 30-40mph - I plan to learn how to clean the MAF and TB myself, so we'll see if that helps; someone mentioned replacing the torque converter as a possible solution, and I'm all for beefing the transmission, so that may be taken care of down the road

Leans to the driver's side about 1-1.5" - I really want to keep the bags, so I'll dig around to see if there's a leak, or a bent/bad sensor etc.

Several dash/steering lights out - a full LED replacement is on my Xmas list, I want all red lights (I dabble in astronomy, and red lighting is easiest on night vision); I've seen steering wheel switch kits (Amazon says they don't fit the H2, but they fit the same wheel in the Tahoe/Suburban, so I am guessing they should fit?), and of course gauges, but does anyone know about kits for the other panels (lights, wiper ****, transfer case, traction/tow/airbag)?

Console latch hook gone (button is still there) - someone mentioned using magnets, which seems like an interesting route to try

Both mirrors won't fold, and the drivers-side hinge is loose - Saving for later

However, my main concern right now is the driveline. Is there an easy way to diagnose the T-case and/or axles without doing anything that might precipitate failure? On my 150-mile drive home with it yesterday, I "felt" a few rumbles and vibrations that raised a couple of flags. After living with a Ford Flex since last year, I'm kind of gun-shy about wheel bearings, CV joints, and transfer cases. I want to ensure that the T-case in particular is ok; the truck is driveable right now, with no major issues apparent. However, I have read that the T-case has a bad habit of slowly chewing itself to bits, and I don't want to start stressing it now and cause it to fail before I can afford the Remanned case. And, I have no way of actually testing the rear locker until I can be sure the T-case is safe to shift. The transmission seems ok; it shifts properly and doesn't whine, so right now that's the least-worrisome component.

Also, in tight (parking lot) turns, the front end feels a bit jumpy at full turn; I'm guessing that's just the CVs complaining because they're actually under power, but if there's something I can check quickly, please let me know. The boots look ok, no splits or anything.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:57 PM

As for the lean, look at the following: bump stops, T-bars & shocks.

Bump tops wear & will cause you to lean. It's a very easy fix.
If your T-bars aren't cranked properly, that can also cause your issue. I had the same thing on a 2008 H3.
If the previous owner did a lot of off roading & didn't maintain the vehicle, the shocks could be worn out & worn unevenly. This also happened to me.