PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Should rear air suspension ever deflate on its own?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Default Should rear air suspension ever deflate on its own?

Hi guys this is my first ever post on here. I am new to the site and just got my h2 hummer less than 3 days ago. It is a 03 with only 50k miles. I just got home from work and noticed the rear end was dropped. It is about 27 degrees outside and I was parked in the yard on uneven ground. I was worried so I went out and pulled onto the road on flat ground. The compressors pumped the rear up right away. My question is should it drop if it sits a couple days? In the cold? And on uneven ground?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 AM

No it should not drop. You need to buy two new air bags, they are cheap and easy to replace. If it burns up the compressor then you have to dig deep in your wallet for a new compressor.
Congrats on the rig. I had an 03 and loved it.
You should also ad an external tranny cooler. My radiator trans cooler broke on my '03 and needed a $5000 repair.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM

Thanks Calif Phil. Love the truck so far. That's first time that the bags deflated since I've had it. Was glad to see the compressor was working good though. I will look into new bags though. So far since they filled up they are holding strong.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM

I could be the bags, the lines, etc.

FYI: They make replacement springs that delete the airbags also.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:17 PM

Previous owner of my truck got rid of this problematic air suspension and removed it completely from my Hummer H2. After certain age those air suspension could bring some headaches to truck owners starting to leak air fro different points of suspension. But what you can do- it's nature of any air involved equipment! So if you would like to keep it in this case you can fix it, but if you don't want future troubles- change it and get rid of headache!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Springs ride as good as air?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM

It shouldn't be big difference in the ride quality with coil springs compare to air suspension. may be coil springs make it a bit stiffer, but, in generally, not big difference. Air suspension is more valuable for off road ride, when it could equalize height difference between different wheels of truck during driving through obstacles.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:34 PM
MH3

Get your bags replaced! I had the same issue; drove mine from Texas back to Ohio. Came back to cold weather and noticed the infamous "Sag" happening. There are some great DIY videos on Youtube documenting how to do it. Pretty straight forward installation. I ended up taking mine to the "stealership" to let them do it. My new job doesn't allow me time to do it myself. For what it cost me, I should've done it!!!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 AM

Hi I have a 06 since new over the years air bags go bad with weather elements. Press button to rise your H2 get under it and spray water and soap and then press button to lower yr H2, watch for air bubble or listen for air leak. I changed mine with out lifting wheels from ground, ( trick is disconnecting air line from bags) 1 hr and $270 Firestone bags at GM part store. Hope this helps

Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Hi, 03 85000 miles. Got 2 bags in the garage waiting for a sunny, warm day. Best price I found---- GMpartsgiant.com.
Funny though---last week it sagged, this week not!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should rear air suspension ever deflate on its own?