PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I trade

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Default Should I trade

I have an 2003 black tahoe with the 5.3, has 4x4 it has all options except sun roof and z71 package(go figure the best ones) it has almost 119k miles

And I'm looking hard at an 03 H2

http://www.boykinmotors.com/newandus...HUMMER-H2.aspx

has little over 86k miles, it has fairly new tires

A few problems with it is,
-the rear gate has a Huge dent in it, so big it looks natural, you can't see it in the pictures but it extends over the liscense plate mount area about 10 inchs on both sides of it inwards.
-the 3rd row seat does not stay locked up wards, it seems that the entire seat has been dropped on the #1 handle
- There are many scratches ( how possible is it to find this paint color in the touch up bottles, orange)

I've had my tahoe since 03-04 almost new although it has around 40k miles when we got it, a lot for one years use now that I look at it.
It just had it's transmission rebuilt but still skips whens it's cold, I know the condition of it very well. It has a slight knock when it's cold which may be normal It just seems wierd now.

The H2 has had 2 previous owners, for some reason the carfax was taken down, the first owner got around 77k miles on it with nothing reported under him except when he sold it, the second owner just has the normal emissions check and things

The H2 was owned at the beach however the under body seems fairly clean.

As you can see i'm tied up, will the H2 outlast my tahoe, I wanted to keep both but that doesn't seem possible, we pay an extremely high amount in insurance a month

Last edited by iwillnc; 12-29-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Default oh and

on the H2

the spare tire holder is missing from the third row so it just lays slanted in there

and also the button to electronically fold in the mirrors doesn't seem to work on the drivers side mirror, which the door was open but irregardless my tahoe does it door open or door closed

But c'mon any answer is a good answer, any opinions? Anyone?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM

I could see the dent. How the heck did that happen? Id make them repair or deduct a chunk of change for a dent like that.

Whats up w the tire in the back just flopped to the side. Is the mounting hardware in there?

I guess it depends on the shape of your tahoe. I wouldnt buy anything that appeared beat up but thats just me. Its pretty obvious the previous owner took it off road alot, hence the rack, tires, back up lights, etc.

I think u can find ALOT cleaner H2's in that year and price range.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM

If the mirror is damaged internally its about $700 to replace. Just fyi. Is it loose? Does it work normally otherwise? If so then i wouldnt care either.

I just bought a 2007 tho and the passenger side didnt work right. Made them replace and total cost was $699

Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Default y

Oh and the front windshield is cracked

And year the mirror seemed to operate perfectly fine give the ability to fold inward, the under carriage seemed clean I mean I'm going to have the local chevy dealer take a good look at it if I do end up going for it, the tire doesn't have the metal mount bracket for it back there, but all the tire changing hardware seemed in order.

If I had to guess I would say the original owner installed a tire carrier exterior removing the interior mount bracket, This I say because under the town hook is a little bit of rust perhaps from it scratching around, then possible the second owner removed it, just a guess.

And I though it seemed pretty clean, granted the under body I'm not sure about, I'm a perfectionist I can tell you every single problem whether apparent or not when it comes to looks, and The truck looked very clean granted you bring up very valid points.

Just like I noticed the front daytime running light seemed a little foggy, which it had no water that I could see inside of it, granted the fact when I was looking at it there was a decent size snow on the ground.

If I hadn't told you the dent was in the rear would you have noticed? until i was standing beside it I didn't notice the slightest

Old 12-29-2010, 04:44 PM

The mirror seemed firm in place however I could have underlooked it

Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Oh and along with my spare tire carrier theory, it is possible that that could have broke at some point or the owner could have hit a light pole house etc pushing it into the truck thus being the reason for removal

Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Adn to be honest it's probably the nicest h2 I can findwithin 500 miles of my house

I looked at on 05 a few months back with 103k miles for 18k that had an oil leak an aftermarket sun roof which had the roof liner soaked and several other things wrong with it

I also looked at a 17k h2 that i don't remember the miles on but I believe they were above 100k that had many things wrong with as well, mainly bad body damage

Either way A picture tells a thousand words and everytime I'm looking at them on the net I end up spotting multiple things and disregard them

Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM

I see you are in NC. Check Independence Motors formally Independence Hummer in Charlotte. They list 39 H2's in stock.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 12-29-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:44 PM

There are 3 (that i know of) former HUMMER dealers in NC

1. Independence
2. Flow - which GM kept them as our go to dealer for HUMMER specific issues, they also run the massive gmpartsdirect site
3. Hendrick HUMMER, I'm closest to this one but they dropped the HUMMER line up and everything they had to do with it once it closed, their really no use

All the HUMMER specific dealership around here have much overpriced vehicles, and I'm still trying to be fair to them and lower the perceieved cost
Knowing that a HUMMER specific dealer is more likely to know what goes on with the hummer and are more likely to check things such as idlers, pitmans, tie rods, and hubs

But Independence for example does have the one 04 H2 which i believe is a beautiful example of a HUMMER in good shape, now the downside to that one is that the miles are twice that of the 03 I'm looking at and it also has the air suspension which I would love that system but the upkeep should something go wrong it astronomical, as well as if I was to convert it I've heard that that can cause problems with the computer to constatly alert the driver of a failure in the system.

But unfortunately I'm not in a state to afford the cost of a nice one, I can afford something along the lines of 20k and below and still be able to afford large fixes, gas and oil and anything else that may happen.

EDIT: in addition there is something on the carfax about an engine oil leak
RE-EDIT: oil leak for the 04 at independence not the 03

Last edited by iwillnc; 12-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I trade