PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Cable Broken on 2005 H2-have to write this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Default Shift Cable Broken on 2005 H2-have to write this!

Ok I am going to start by saying I love our H2. but...... My wife and kids went for a visit to the mother in laws and broke down in Tampa at a gas station with our H2. The problem the shifter cable broke when she put it in park to get gas. We had AAA tow the H2 to Stingray Chevy, plant city FL. BTW great folks at this dealership, thank you!! This was on a Sunday, shop closed till Monday wife stranded etc..... She's pissed.

They ordered the part on Monday it arrived on Tuesday and she picked her car up later that week.

I called GM to complain, now lets face it this is not a new car, (5yrs old) but it is well maintained and has never been off road! Of course GM said its not under warranty and I am on my own. BTW I was only asking for the refund of the part and labor not towing, rental car, inconvenience etc. They denied me.

Now gang we all know that I am not the only one to get this issue on an H2 this is clearly a design fault of GM. How many of you have cars that are two and 3 times this age and they shift into gear a basic essential for a car??

Would anyone care to chime in now. Government Motors who we all support in many ways is still as dumb as ever and we keep coming back for more, hew! I feel better, and I am considering trading or selling my H2 if anyone is interested.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM

Is that the only real issue you've had in five years, if so thats great. How many miles is on your H2, the only reason I ask is if you think about it, in five years how many times do you put the vehicle in park, reverse, drive. I mean its only a cable, it does suck that it happened and it unfortunate that its not under warranty but if you really think about how much use that cable gets eventually its going to happen. I had this same issue on my 1998 suburban, had to wait a couple days for to come in fixed it myself and was on my way.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM

well lets see I needed a new starter, a DRL, Front wheel bearings, the marker lights were leaking on the front and rear soaking the carpet, and one of the passenger seat adjust motors is out. All issues have been repaired except the seat motor. That is quite a few defects. Wheel bearings at 60k miles thats a poor design. I have a 17yr old car that shifts into and out of gear with far more miles on it and no cable issue, which by the way is a poor design. What erks me the most is GM, this is a defunct brand, and they treat their customers like crap! When will they learn, maybe when no one in the USA drives an American made/designed car????

Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 PM

I've actually had a lot of the same problems as you, I'm on my second set of Hub bearings and my truck has 98,000. the design is terrible but is to be expected when your driving a truck that weighs over 7,000lbs and rides on 35" tires. when the bearings are originally designed for 1ton p/u's running 265/76/16 which is equivalent to 31" tire I think. My driver seat motor took a crap thank god its in a position that's comfortable, and one of the roof marker lights leaked soaking my headliner (now fixed). All things considered I still love this truck, its fun to drive, really there's no other truck like a hummer and that's what makes it awesome. Don't get me wrong I think GM is a bunch of A-holes and should take a look at Ford and find out why their customers are more loyal and why they have not needed to ask for a bail out.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by DTS62284
I've actually had a lot of the same problems as you, I'm on my second set of Hub bearings and my truck has 98,000. the design is terrible but is to be expected when your driving a truck that weighs over 7,000lbs and rides on 35" tires. when the bearings are originally designed for 1ton p/u's running 265/76/16 which is equivalent to 31" tire I think. My driver seat motor took a crap thank god its in a position that's comfortable, and one of the roof marker lights leaked soaking my headliner (now fixed). All things considered I still love this truck, its fun to drive, really there's no other truck like a hummer and that's what makes it awesome. Don't get me wrong I think GM is a bunch of A-holes and should take a look at Ford and find out why their customers are more loyal and why they have not needed to ask for a bail out.
can anyone say class action?