PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Service air suspension. Oh yay

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Default Service air suspension. Oh yay

Ok so I had my air bags replaced. I also replaced the relay. The h2 airs up and will lift the back when I hit th button. It doesn't appear to be leaking. But now I am still getting the service air suspension message. I have an actron Autoscanner pluss (cp9580). Can I check the sensors with it? Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 AM

Does anyone know how to check the voltages of the sensors? Or have any info on the sensors?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Default mesage problem

i have to work this weekend but if i have time i will look it up in the dvd for you and see what i can find for you ..mike

Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Default one thing

did a quick check , the alarm will come on if it detects a short in the system
you said that the switch works and it powers up and lifts the air bags .
one it could be your sensors , 2 still a short or 3 a modual 4 old alarm and just needs cleared.
stop in at auto zone and have them hook up a scan tool and check for dtc codes that will help , post here and i will check back later .mike

Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks for your response Bosch.

Here's where i'm at

The "service air suspension" is on full time now. The compressor appears to be locked out (other then the short burst that you usually get when you turn on the ignition) The air bags are nearly leaked out to the bump stops.
coincidentally the guy who works on my h2 works at autozone too. The scanners they have will not read the chassis codes. He has a $1500 scanner that will not read them either, but he does have access to one that will read the codes. He is coming by around noon today to take a look.

After quite a bit of research here's what I'm hoping is the problem

I pulled the intake filter off the compressor. The one that is up underneath the drivers side fender well. (those of you who still have the air susspension, go check yours now, I'll wait until you get back) It was pretty dirty. Cleaned it out as best possible. Going to order a new one. I'm hoping that the compressor was overheating due to this and that no permanent damage was caused. Hopefully reset the codes and see if this helps.

Or

One or both of the height sensors are bad. We will check for that by monitoring the voltages with the scanner he has access to. After speaking with him yesterday he said he recalled that there was an option for reading those sensors.

or the possibility that im not hoping for (and i don't think is the problem)

Bad compressor. In which case I will probably switch out to springs and try to sell the two week old air bags.

I'll keep you posted
Thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Okay, we keep getting a code saying the compressor has overheated. So i pulled all the lines and wires dropped the compressor and have tried running 12 volts to the compressor itself. It work just fine that way. Perhaps a bad overload circuit?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 PM

It's alive!! (for now)

So here is what i did.
Took out compressor assembly
Tried to take apart compressor despite pictogram sticker saying not to take apart.
Could not get off the end that the wires went into, so i reassembled everything.
Hooked up all the electrical on the ground and the compressor came to life.
Hooked up airlines and reinstalled compressor assembly into vehicle.
Turned car on and the compressor aired up the back end.
Got in the car and noticed the "service air suspension" message was still on.
Tried to clear out code with Snap-on scanner.
Code would immediately come back on after restart.
Tried unplugging electrical and resetting. No good.
Tried removing yellow wire that goes directly to compressor motor hoping it was the thermal overload detector wire (removed the wire from the plug)
Tried resetting error code. Would not clear code at all with the yellow wire removed.
Reinstalled yellow wire.
Reset error code and it stayed off.
Cycled height adjustment which worked fine.
Built a temporary air filter from a lawnmower air filter, air conditioner filter foam and furnace filter fabric and lots of tape. Will try to order a new filter monday.
So far, so good.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Default good job ,great that you stuck with it ..take care

hope it stays running for you