PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Safari Hummer H2-Jerry Gas Can Mounting

Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Default Safari Hummer H2-Jerry Gas Can Mounting

Hello Friends,
I received alot of requests for photos of how I mounted the Jerry Gas Can onto the rear of my 2003' H2.
Here are the photos.
The bottom of the Jerry Gas Can Mount Holder is secured to the vehicle by a series of "T" shaped metal Brackets which I bent and shaped to the contour of the Mount Holder and to the vehicle Tailgate and is held on by screws on the mount and onto the vehicle.
I strategically placed the 2 mounting brackets underneath near where the tailgate latch is located in order to easily access the screws from the inside through the factory Tailgate Latch opening. I drilled out 2 holes underneath the Tailgate where the 2 screws holes for the mounting bracket is situated. You have to remove the Tailgate Latch in order to have clearance enough to put the screw nuts to catch the bolts through the 2 predrilled holes. The heads of the 2 Screws which mount onto the Tailgate door should have the heads as flat as possible in order to avoid any closing interference. Then reinstall the Tailgate Latch.
I also added 2 pieces of wood adhered with "double sided tape" to the Tailgate and the Jerry Can Mount, I also glued a piece of rug mat to the Jerry Can Mount and a piece of rubber mat with "double sided tape" to the Tailgate in order to prevent scratching the Tailgate and reduce the rebound / bounce effect upon closing the Tailgate.
I also installed a small "L" shaped metal bracket onto my Spare Tire Carrier which slides underneath the Jerry Can Mount upon closing the spare tire carrier, to hold the weight up of the Jerry Can and to prevent any bouncing.
When design was completed with the brackets, I spray painted everthing RED to comply with the Jerry Gas Can color code.
This type of mounting onto the Tailgate adds weight to the Tailgate when it is opened, and has a tendacy to drop closed. Therefore I either rest the tailgate on top of the Spare Tire or I place a 49 1/4" long stick to hold it open.
The stick is placed between where the Tailgate lift support is located and a large rubber grommet on the Tailgate and down to the top of the bumper.
Safari Hummer H2

Attached Thumbnails Safari Hummer H2-Jerry Gas Can Mounting-jerry-can-mounting.jpg   Safari Hummer H2-Jerry Gas Can Mounting-jerry-can-mount-rear-wood.jpg   Safari Hummer H2-Jerry Gas Can Mounting-jerry-can-mount-l-bracket.jpg   Safari Hummer H2-Jerry Gas Can Mounting-tailgate-stick.jpg  

Last edited by SafariHummerH2; 08-21-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks for posting it up, was waiting to see how you got that done. Nice work! Makes me want to add 1 or 2 to mine!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM

looks great! good work!

steve