PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Replacing Shocks, recomendations.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Default Replacing Shocks, recomendations.

I been told that I need to replace the shocks @ 76,000 Miles, anyone have any recomendations for some good brands to use, and experience with them as far as ride, and performance?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM

I went to a set of Rancho shocks as my first factory replacements, they were just ok. They were not very durable it seemed. I also take my H2 off road (primarily Rausch Creek) every other weekend sometimes more often.

I went to my mechanic (East Coast Off-Road Headquarters in Bel Air MD) who suggested Skyjacker so I had him install a set of Skyjacker Nitro 8000's and what a difference, I took my truck out the following weekend and found myself getting a bit wiley and took a burm a bit fast causing me to freewheel front and rear. The landing I braced for was not the landing that I expected, the shocks held up, and did exactly what they were made for without failing.

To be fair I have to mention that I also have Timbren SES installed front and rear. Additionally over the course of 1 year I went thru 2 replacement Rancho shocks due to failure though they did warranty them it was a hassle.

I highly recommend the Timbren product be installed in conjunction with your new shocks, if you take it off road at all. If your more of a mall crawler then its overkill.

As for Skyjacker, I am sold.

\o/

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM

I Have Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks. The ride is awesome and if it is too stiff I soften the shocks up, to soft I stiffen them. I have 138,500 miles and wheel my H2 all the time, I use to have the Rancho 5000 shocks and the truck rode completely different it was bouncey and rode like crap. Now with the 9000xl if I am on street more then offroad i can stiffen them up and it rides like a dream. Contact Tim at Expedition Hardware.com he gave me a great price and shipped them fast.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM

I had to go look and see what model Rancho's I had previously...

They were 5000's, and it sounds like I had the same impression of them

Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM

anyone running kings or fox resi's? What is your impression?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:09 AM

I actually just put fox 2.5 resi shocks on my 04 h2 about a mmonth ago. I like them. They are starting to ride smoother now that i have a few miles on them. They are very firm and sporty feeling. It rides smoother over the rough tall bumps but is firm on bumps and crack separations in pavment. You feel them more. I love the highway ride though. its nice. They look bitchin too. Just expensive. I go mine from offroad warehouse because i couldnt find them anyware else. They are charged with 200 psi of nitrogen and actually lifted my hummer a real .75 inches. The guys at the shop that put them on thought that was crazy as well. if you want a stock smooth ride with more control i would use bilsteins from trailduty. Or if your like me and your a parts snob use the foxs.