PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Relocate Rear Licence Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Default Relocate Rear Licence Plate

My 09 H2 was bought with the rear tire carrier removed.Clean look at the back.I just got the truck last fri,and noticed where they put the licence plate,the right back tow hook bolt completly blocks the first letter of the licence plate.I told the sales guy that is a good reason for a cop to pull you over for that.He then said the owner of the GM dealership bought the truck for himself in 09 and removed the spare tire carrier from day one and never got stopped by the police ever.I am still a little leary of having the plate like that.I live in London,Ontario,Canada and the city cops here just look for a excuse to pull you over.I like the look of the licence plate going in the black center square where the rear hatch release is.Only one thing,just wonder how many H2s that have it back there have a plate light there.Last question is the mounting of it.Do you line it up and just drill plate holes through the gate,and bolt it on.Hopefully someone here that has put the plate there can give me some tips on the best way to do it.Or,is putting the plate in another spot easier.I am open to all options.

Attached Thumbnails Relocate Rear Licence Plate-im000522.jpg   Relocate Rear Licence Plate-im000521.jpg   Relocate Rear Licence Plate-2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM

Do you have a GM dealer that can show you a 2003 or 2004 on a computer that had the spare tire mounted on the inside? WOnder if you can order the wiring harness to mount the plate in the center from.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM

I dont believe there is a light back there unless it came with the spare mounted inside the vehicle.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 PM

The item you need is called a license plate pocket. It replaces the entire black plastic square with a new black plastic square that has a piece of chrome trim. It also has license plate lights that you'll connect into the wiring within the rear hatch.

I believe it was 2006 when they started mounting the rear tire on the outside, so only 2003-2005 models will already have the lighted license plate pocket. My local (former) HUMMER dealer quoted me something like $400 for the pocket, which sounded super over priced. Some searching online turned up a pocket for $275, though I forget where.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Thanks alot..I will see if i can find a 03-05 licence plate pocket....What about useing 2xSUPER WHITE HIGH INTENSITY LED LICENSE PLATE BOLT LIGHTS .This is there ad:One brand new pair (2 pc.) of WHITE LED license plate/frame bolt lights that produce a super high intensity WHITE LED beam. These bolt

lights fit almost any motorcycle, atv, scooter car or boat. Connects to your license plate lights or any 12 Volt source. Easy installation.

•2 chrome bolts with SMD light(bolt head 1/2 inch wide and 7/10 in length. Threading is 3/5 inches in length. bolt head and threading combined

length: 1.25 inch)
•15 inches of wire (15 inches including LED bolt)
•Connects to any 12 Volt source.I was thinking of getting some of these led licence plate bolts to fasten the plate on the rear hatch black centerpiece and wire it to the clearance lights.

Attached Thumbnails Relocate Rear Licence Plate-%24-kgrhqyoknee3z6dfwcrbn-vpjvru-%7E%7E_12.jpg   Relocate Rear Licence Plate-41nhwcbcjrl__sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM

I found this licence plate pocket,all crome for 03-05 H2 Hummer.Here is the item ad..

03 04 05 HUMMER H2 SUV REAR LICENSE PLATE FRAME CHROME Item condition:New.84.00 US.The ad says they have 10 in stock.

Made From Automotive Grade ABS Chrome

Enhances The Look Of Mirrors For A True Custom Look

Perfectly Matches OEM Chrome

Uses Pre-Applied Red 3M Tape For Easy Installation, No Drilling or Cutting Required

Only thing it does not mention if it has a licence plate light.I sent the seller a email to let me know if it does.There outfit is called ZIPMOTOR.

Attached Thumbnails Relocate Rear Licence Plate-%24-kgrhqr-l-e1f4dzbssbne75-iqzw%7E%7E_12.jpg   Relocate Rear Licence Plate-%24-kgrhqz-k4e1f3-1nyubne76e8kq-%7E%7E_12.jpg   Relocate Rear Licence Plate-%24-kgrhqn-lue3hcjbp8zbnywe26y8g%7E%7E0_12.jpg  

Last edited by NIK1; 05-16-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM

I would think the original ones had a wire harness off of the main tail light harness. Once you pull that cover off I'm sure you can have access to the running light harness.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Where did you get those first two pictures? The ones that aren't completely chrome? I'd confirm with the seller that you actually get the entire replacement pocket. I'm usually suspicious of chrome accents for sale as being just pieces that you stick on top of your existing pieces using 3M tape.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mrvictory1999
Where did you get those first two pictures? The ones that aren't completely chrome? I'd confirm with the seller that you actually get the entire replacement pocket. I'm usually suspicious of chrome accents for sale as being just pieces that you stick on top of your existing pieces using 3M tape.
The sad thing is the stick on chrome pieces are higher quality/more durable that the real pieces. All my real chrome pitted and went to hell, all the plastic chromed parts still looks brand new.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 AM

I've heard the same thing about the chrome stickers being more durable. But he is looking for a license plate pocket that has holes for the lights. If the item for sale is just a few plastic chrome stickers, it won't help him accomplish his goal.

Has anyone here drilled holes in an 06+ H2 license plate pocket to add lights and relocate the license plate to the center of the hatchback?

Quick Reply: Relocate Rear Licence Plate