PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Recommended aftermarket head/ nav unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
HD radio will depend greatly on where you live....

I live in Columbia, SC so we have a few stations that are broadcasting in the format. Many HD stations also have a secondary channel (much like HDTV). On stations that do I can hit the seek up button and its the same station but an entirely different music genre. Some of the HD stations also transmit album art and other info too which shows up on your display and its also digital sound so generally better sound quality. Nearly all of the stations here in Columbia now transmit in HD.

Check the HD Radio website to see what stations near you have HD.
https://hdradio.com/
Thanks for the link. Most options I'm looking at offer HD radio so I'll likely end up with the feature.

Originally Posted by H2Miami
What year is your
I don't know newest but 2006 and below
The media system for the 2 row is very
It use a dvd located in the center console and the sound goes thru a Fm station to the
Thus also limit your passenger to watch only one movie at the time and not music while watching a movie.
At least that was my conf before replacing

i installed 2 headrest with dvd which are totally independent with their own
so one passenger can watch a movie the other a different movie while the driver can listen

my headunit (kenwood 571) also play dvd .
I kept the oem camera installed on the mirror plus added one on the plate to the kenwood . This one can be turned on while driving to check the towing

Oem amp and speakers are only good with the oem stereo (bose)
OnceI replaced the headunit the sound was very bad mostly cause the amp lack any gain adjustment

With dynamat on doors , the kennwood , Hertz speakers ,a compact kenwood sub and new front tweeters im close to the sound I'm looking for .

Btw I got 2 sets of 4 ways pioneers whichI removed from truck of any one want it let me know .just pay shipping
Should have mentioned I have an 08. I know there were many changes made on the 08's/ 09's versus the 03 to 06 H2's. Most of my knowledge has to do with the drivetrain upgrades.

My only concern is that these types of projects have a tendency to balloon over time. At least for me they do.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:49 AM

Well that does make a difference. For one, your H2 has a different communication system (CAN BUS) which offers you some very very cool additional benefits. Particularly if you go with a Kenwood system. The Kenwood systems have an iDatalink Maestro connection built in.

Go to this link and try a 2005 and a 2008 H2 and look at the differences at what it is capable of.....
iDatalink - Maestro - Home

I'm sure there are probably a couple of other brands of aftermarket stereos with the iDatalink connection too.

Anyways - if you get the serial interface module it takes care of not just making your steering wheel controls work but gives you full control over the Bose amp gain, you will have the OEM features screens which let you look at custom gauges, tire pressure sensors, and very cool is if your check engine light comes on you can see what the code is and even reset it right from your Kenwood stereo!

This is some random car stereo shops video but it shows a lot of the additional screens.

I know on some vehicles you will even be able to mess with the climate control too.

What annoys me to no end.... the older models including all GM trucks from 1999 - 2007 can also show and display nearly all of the same info using a slightly different communication protocol (try any generic bluetooth elm adapter with Torque on an Android phone) but iDatalink will not bother to have their developers write the programming. They do not think it will be worth their time. Even though there are hundreds of thousands of 1999-2007 GM trucks (Hummer, GMC, Chevy pickups and SUV's as well as other GM vehicles) out there which are becoming more affordable to younger folks who will almost immediately want to update the aging stereo system.

Another big plus with the electrical system on your 2008 is adding an aftermarket remote start system is also dramatically simplified and easy. You can get a T-Harness to install an aftermarket remote start and install it in under 30 minutes without splicing or cutting any wires. It by default would by default us your factory remote (press lock three times to remote start) or even better you can add on a Commpustar RF kit and your choice of Compustar remote for a much greater range (up to over a mile) or even get their smartphone control setup and be able to start, lock/unlock, etc from anywhere in the world.

Last edited by MixManSC; 04-14-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:02 AM

You mentioned IPod. I went with the Pioneer App Radio that emulates your iPod or iPhone. It also has an HDMI and RCA input as well as others. What I like the most is that I now have one phone and contact list as well as one Navigation list. Full touch screen, etc. I used the GPS antenna and the Mic that came with the truck so it is very neat.

However, any double din unit you like will fit.

Put the old head unit on flea bay and recoup a few hundred of the cost.

Ted

Old 04-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Love my AlpineName:  IMG_1848_zpsysey4jkz.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  202.1 KB

Old 04-15-2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Well that does make a difference. For one, your H2 has a different communication system (CAN BUS) which offers you some very very cool additional benefits. Particularly if you go with a Kenwood system. The Kenwood systems have an iDatalink Maestro connection built in.

Go to this link and try a 2005 and a 2008 H2 and look at the differences at what it is capable of.....
iDatalink - Maestro - Home

I'm sure there are probably a couple of other brands of aftermarket stereos with the iDatalink connection too.

Anyways - if you get the serial interface module it takes care of not just making your steering wheel controls work but gives you full control over the Bose amp gain, you will have the OEM features screens which let you look at custom gauges, tire pressure sensors, and very cool is if your check engine light comes on you can see what the code is and even reset it right from your Kenwood stereo!

This is some random car stereo shops video but it shows a lot of the additional screens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLy8bC0rizI

I know on some vehicles you will even be able to mess with the climate control too.

What annoys me to no end.... the older models including all GM trucks from 1999 - 2007 can also show and display nearly all of the same info using a slightly different communication protocol (try any generic bluetooth elm adapter with Torque on an Android phone) but iDatalink will not bother to have their developers write the programming. They do not think it will be worth their time. Even though there are hundreds of thousands of 1999-2007 GM trucks (Hummer, GMC, Chevy pickups and SUV's as well as other GM vehicles) out there which are becoming more affordable to younger folks who will almost immediately want to update the aging stereo system.

Another big plus with the electrical system on your 2008 is adding an aftermarket remote start system is also dramatically simplified and easy. You can get a T-Harness to install an aftermarket remote start and install it in under 30 minutes without splicing or cutting any wires. It by default would by default us your factory remote (press lock three times to remote start) or even better you can add on a Commpustar RF kit and your choice of Compustar remote for a much greater range (up to over a mile) or even get their smartphone control setup and be able to start, lock/unlock, etc from anywhere in the world.
I'm liking this. I saw a couple of references to Maestro in my reading but it's nice to see it tuning. Looks nice and you said I can get a Kenwood system with the Maestro compatibility already built in? I'm really looking forward to visiting a couple of places next weekend to see in person what the head units look like. I'm leaning towards Kenwood right now.

Originally Posted by dontheo55
You mentioned IPod. I went with the Pioneer App Radio that emulates your iPod or iPhone. It also has an HDMI and RCA input as well as others. What I like the most is that I now have one phone and contact list as well as one Navigation list. Full touch screen, etc. I used the GPS antenna and the Mic that came with the truck so it is very neat.

However, any double din unit you like will fit.

Put the old head unit on flea bay and recoup a few hundred of the cost.

Ted
Originally Posted by peep
Love my Alpine
Thanks guys.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM

I think I have it narrowed down to two options. Both from Kenwood.

I'm still trying to understand the differences.

I'm looking at the:

Kenwood DNX893SHD
DNX893S | eXcelon | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

and the

Kenwood DDX9903S
DDX9903S | eXcelon | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Main difference is the 9903 does not have built in navigation....

Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 PM

Yeah I realized that after I posted it. I've looked at so many units in the last week they have all blended together.

The DNN892 is the other one I am looking at. Built in wifi and since it appears to be discontinued there are good deals out there.

DNN992 | eXcelon | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

I've found it for $750 at a couple of places.