PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Radio won't turn off

Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Default Radio won't turn off

Radio in 2004 Hummer H2 will not turn off even after ignition is off. I have to pull the windshield wiper fuse; otherwise, the battery will go dead. Having the wiper fuse pulled seems to stop the problem but does not solve it. It is very inconvenient having to put the fuse in every time it rains. Is there a relay that needs to be changed? Anything will help.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 AM

not sure on relay, but there has to be another hot lead switched off the ignition. maybe try running a jumper to the wiper fuse location OFF the load of the other fused lead that is controlled off the ignition. if all the ignition leads don't work then I'd imagine the switch itself or possibly a relay as u said. not familiar with hummers or really ignition relays in general but I am an electrician and it makes sense to start with an easy troubleshoot and go from there.

my wife's jetta had a similar problem, with the factory monsoon or bose stereo whatever the hell it was, it would shut off when you open the door even if the key was completely removed it'd still wait til the door opened to shut off. then, when changed to an aftermarket dvd player it wouldn't shut off, I searched online and finally came to just run a wire to the fuse box off something that came off the iginition switch, don't even remember what, I just stuffed the wire under one of the fuse legs, ran it all wild over the fuse box lol. just was tired of the batteries dying and didn't care how it looked. I could've done it cleaner in the back tied to the other wires and use a T-tap to tie it into a wire, but what fun would that've been lol. anyway, good luck!

Tom

Last edited by hawaiianbasshead; 04-06-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:11 AM

Can you turn the radio off manually. Will it go off when you open the door? Do the dome lights go on when you open the door? You could have a bad door switch and it not know that the door is open. A bad RAP relay. "Retained Acc. Power" could also be the problem.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:58 PM

FYI, you can choose in the control options if you want your radio/cd player to turn off when you open the door, or you can choose to have it turn off when you turn the engine off. If your door switch is acting up I would change the radio to turn off when the engine is turned off. Problem solved.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys... It is not the door switch because the only way it will turn off is by pulling the wiper fuse then everything acts like it sould (when you start the truck and turn it off it works properly). When you put the fuse in the wipers turn on no matter what the control says and there is no way to turn them off. I have had this rig for a long time and it just started doing this at random.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Sounds like a stuck relay switch. Sometimes you can give a stuck relay a sharp (not hard) wack and it will release. Then you know which one needs replacing.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 AM

I am having the same issue and my dash lights stay on also.. Pull the Wipper Fuse and it works like it should but no wipers? 2004 H2 were you able to solve the issue? What was the Cause..

Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM

Buy a new relay they are only a couple bucks.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Damn. Just stared happening n my 2004 Hummer H2. The battery was only putting out 9.4 volts which caused my Alternator regulator to go bad. Replaced both and now the radio does not shut off no matter what I do. I will remove wiper fuse and check. Since this seems to be a relay issue, where is the relay that needs to be replaced located? Please help!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM

For the love of God someone tell me what exactly worked and where it was to fix this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio won't turn off