PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Questions about H2 and Trailers

Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Default Questions about H2 and Trailers

Hi All- I've got an 07 H2, and I'm thinking about towing an Airstream and I'm wondering if anyone here with towing experience behind their H2 has any advice. I'm thinking about a 25'. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM

I would think your mileage will be in the single digits all the time. It will look cool going down the highway though.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

Mileage will DEFINENTLY be single digits. The H2 has the motor and trans to do such a trailer (how much does the airstream weigh? Those things aren't light), and it has a decent wheelbase so you will be able to control the trailer and not sway too bad. I say you'll be just fine, just dont confuse your offroad machine for a turbo-diesel pickup truck

Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 AM

Yea, I expected the fuel consumption to be crappy. The weight will be somewhere under the max gross weight allowed for an H2, but I'm still picking the trailer. It will be somewhere between 5,000 and the 7,000 max. I'm going to tow a couple of different lengths just to see how it behaves before I sign on the dotted line. Lengths are between 23' and 28'. I really love my H2 and I hate the idea of getting rid of it to use a more suitable two rig, such as an F350. My garage is full of cars already.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 AM

I have pulled many things with the H2's I have had & have. They actually pull quite well and stable. They are not a land rocket like a truck with a duramax in it, but they handle rather well. I would make sure you take care of the tranny and service the vehicle very well if you intend to tow with it.
Yes the fuel mileage does drop when pulling, the more the load the lower the milage.. But overall I find it to still do the job quite well.. J

Old 09-10-2010, 04:33 PM

I two a 17' toy hauler which is about 4000 lbs dry..it handles fine and does good on the flats but it really slows down on hills. My overall impression is that the H2 is not the best tow rig but it will get you there. I think you wont be to impressed towing a 25 footer that is close to max weight, I'v known other people that have towed larger than mine and they werent to impressed either.

I would definelty test it out before you invest in something that big to tow with the H2..I think you'll be unpleasantly suprised..these trucks just werent designed to be tow rigs

Old 09-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

but doesn't his H2 have the bigger motor than the '05 you have?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 AM

While the H2 is many things, a tow vehicle its not. I have an 04 and tow a 5000 lbs boat and while the engine has reasonably sufficient power, the tranny with only 4 speeds is horrible. It especially struggles on the highway with or without elevation changes because the tranny is always trying to find the right gear. Even when engaging the tow setting, its still a less than capable vehicle as it then drives in 3rd gear while roaring down the highway at high RPM's.

Truth is, I love the truck but it just isn't a good towing machine....an 08 or 09 with its 6 speed tranny is much more suitable.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 AM

I think the reason that people are or get dissapointed is that they are expecting a H2 to pull a load just a peppy as a duramax equipped truck.. If you take away the acceleration under a heavy towing load & look at the other things besides acceleration, they aren't really bad at all.. All things considered..

Also yes the 07 should have the 6.2 instead of the 6.0..

I have had HD trucks both gas & oil burners and towed some pretty big stuff.. So I can speak from both sides of the fence..

Jamie

Attached Thumbnails Questions about H2 and Trailers-sm1.jpg   Questions about H2 and Trailers-sm2.jpg   Questions about H2 and Trailers-sm3.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by rkourany
While the H2 is many things, a tow vehicle its not. I have an 04 and tow a 5000 lbs boat and while the engine has reasonably sufficient power, the tranny with only 4 speeds is horrible. It especially struggles on the highway with or without elevation changes because the tranny is always trying to find the right gear. Even when engaging the tow setting, its still a less than capable vehicle as it then drives in 3rd gear while roaring down the highway at high RPM's.

Truth is, I love the truck but it just isn't a good towing machine....an 08 or 09 with its 6 speed tranny is much more suitable.
You may want to consider a programmer & reflashing it. It has made some very noticeable differences in towing, power and trans shifting. The Diablo sport is one of the best for the money in my opinion. It has made the shifting much smoother, firmer and predictable. Especially when towing.. I also do have to say I have used other programmers too in the past and I dont feel they are all created equal regardless of whether they are hand held or custom.. Just my 2 cents again.. J

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about H2 and Trailers