PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Problems with upgrading to Smoked LED brake lights.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Default Problems with upgrading to Smoked LED brake lights.

Hello gang, I'm a newbie here to this forum site and I like all the help that gets passed around. Been looking for some help and hoping I can fid it here. I have a 2004 H2 and the OEM Tail Lights and turn signals work fine, but I have tried a couple times to switch them out with Smoked LED Tail Lights I come across a unique problem. The reverse lights work fine as well as the two different levels of light for the brakes (driving and brakes). The turn signals only work when the brakes are engaged. I take my foot off the brakes and the turn signal goes away. I have gone over the wiring multiple times and talked with vendor to make sure it was done correct. Which it was only removing the bulbs and plugging the LED harness into the empty sockets. The company I have bought them from said that they check them prior to sending them out to ensure they work and the first time I returned them and got them replaced with a new set but then had the same issue again and before I return them again I wanted to see if there is something that someone might think of to look at.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Which lights are they? Do you have pics or a link?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Smile

They are called Eagle Eyes, and I have a couple pics from dealer and one I took for a side by side with OEM lights. Thanks for any ideas you might have. A fresh perspective is always helpful!

Attached Thumbnails Problems with upgrading to Smoked LED brake lights.-led-oem-tail-lights.jpg   Problems with upgrading to Smoked LED brake lights.-led-smoke-tail-lights-1.jpg   Problems with upgrading to Smoked LED brake lights.-led-smoke-tail-lights-2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 06:50 PM

I have similar ones I bought from Amazon. Instructions said not to use the resistor packs but without them they would not function correctly.

Also with my turn signal on and pressing the brake the lower bumper light and tail light alternate instead of blinking at the same time. I have grown to actually prefer it as it tells those behind me that I am braking. Sort of like a third brake light that flashes.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 PM

I encountered the same problem with the aftermarket Smoked LED tail lights from eBay. I did some research and found that it is a pretty common problem due to bad resistors. You can fix the problem by buying a new set of resistors and re-wiring them onto the lights or contacting the seller to get an exchange. I simply got an exchange for another set of tail lights and everything worked as it was supposed to (on, brake, and SIGNAL).

Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 PM

Sounds like the problem is aftermarket product . I've just smoked my stocks and put led's in . I hate electrical problems good luck.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 AM

I never use aftermarket parts as replacement, yet, and until gm stops making some H2 parts, as they have started to do. If you want to blackout, i suggest using GTS (GTStyling) blackout covers. You can remove them if needed and it doesn't cheap out your H2 like is done with teenagers and their Honda Civics. (Own a Honda in the household, just knocking the jokers.)
GM Parts always work , are great quality as far as the H2 parts are concerned, are returnable and guaranteed. And when it is garaged and twenty eight years old, you will have a classic, all original vehicle.) So, at least hold on to your originals if in good condition.
Again, only my suggestion, but return the, and go with covers.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Yes, and if you do decide, GTS authorized sellers include Summit Racing and Amazon, among others. Summit often has them backorder but a few bucks cheaper. Amazon is worth $5 more, especially if you have Amazon Prime and can get them same, next or 2 day shipping.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:16 AM

Yes, and if you do decide, GTS authorized sellers include Summit Racing and Amazon, among others. Summit often has them backorder but a few bucks cheaper. Amazon is worth $5 more, especially if you have Amazon Prime and can get them same, next or 2 day shipping.

Attached Thumbnails Problems with upgrading to Smoked LED brake lights.-image.jpg  
Old 05-02-2015, 08:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! I went ahead and returned the lights, but now I am seriously thinking about the GTS covers. Decisions, decisions, decisions! Hahaha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with upgrading to Smoked LED brake lights.