PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Power Steering Pump failures in a H2 Limo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Default Power Steering Pump failures in a H2 Limo

Hi,

I have a 2006 H2 Limo with bulletproof windows and body, plus grenade proof undercarriage. The total weight of the car is a little over 8500lbs. Its a stretch Limo.
Has been really "bulletproof" with an exception of a few details that I can not seem to fix.
One of the major issue is the power steering pump. It keeps failing constantly.
We tried a factory rebuilt unit, we tried a factory new unit, we tried an independent rebuilt unit, all fails under 10,000miles and about6-8 months.
The pump starts grinding and oil leaks everywhere.
We have changed the fluid several times (we actually change it every 3-4 months) and tried to use the best fluids, we installed a power steering cooler, and stainless steel lines, etc.
Nothing seems to be working. The pump dies very fast, and its a major issue as when it dies on a job, then it could be a disaster.

Any idea what can we use instead of the factory crap power steering pump ?

I found a company uses a different pump and steering gear with cooler, etc. but they refused to sell just the pump. Their kit is little over 3000usd so before I spend that much money I'd like to investigate it a little more.
Is there a HD power steering pump ? The limo company said they always used the factory and admitted having problems but they installed the cooler and a new factory rebuilt AC Delco unit and supposedly it always cured the issues.
The truck came with a cooler already installed but we changed the cooler already, thinking maybe that one had a blockage, but nothing seems to be solving the issue.

We had a lot of trouble with a tires as well, the truck rides on 20" wheels and the tires kept blowing out. A special 12ply tires solved the issue, but destroyed the ride.
So I want to add an airbag system to the suspension. Any idea on that ?
It must handle the 8500lbs and rough roads.

thanks for the help

Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 PM

Limo should of never has a stock pump left on it after conversion...

Call these guys, they do everything...really cool on the phone.

AGR Performance-MB Motorsports