PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering gear pitman shaft question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Default Power steering gear pitman shaft question

Dropped the skid plate, and did a lube on our H2 yesterday.

Noticed that power steering gear arm connecting to the steering linkage (=pitman shaft?) has exposed metal that looks splined at the connector. There is a small black rubber seal around the top of it (looks black and green in photo), but the seal does not cover the bare metal. There is grease on it, so it has not corroded. Light green marks visible on left side of nut and pitman arm show that nut has not moved.

It was worked on by the dealer a year ago, for repairing a power steering fluid leak described as "replace cover and o-ring seal on steering gear side". They used bearing part #26077989. Is this related?

Is this connection how it is supposed to "normally" look or has something become loose and needs to be repaired? I am guessing it is NOT normal, but do not have another H2 to compare to.

Any advice? Help!

Attached Thumbnails Power steering gear pitman shaft question-img_4540-small.jpg  

Last edited by finall; 09-28-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Hummer dealer checked it out. They said all is OK. But the exposed metal does not seem right to me.

Any forum members that can take a pic of theirs for comparison?

Mine is an 07 H2 model, but I imagine that the gear box did not change much between years? It would be interesting to compare photos.

My closeup photo is of the pitman arm bolted to the steering gear box.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:16 PM

It looks ok to me, the pitman arm is not supposed to sit flush with the gear box, and that little gap is not abnormal.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Totally normal. Not a big deal at all. If you want you can pull the seal down more to seat better on the pitman. When you remove the factory pitman you have to push the seal up to place the puller on it. Then when you put the new on one you can pull it back down. Its a real PITA to pull the seal back down. And really its not that big of a deal if you dont.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks guys for the info.

But I am still wondering if a dust seal is missing? There seems to be a lot of bare shiny metal that is not corroded like it is on the pitman are and gear box. It is too clean.

Also, as you can see from a pic of a new H2 steering box, there is a dust seal there.

Also, called the H2 parts people, and asked for a parts schematic for a 2007 H2 steering box. The #27 in the parts diagram clearly shows a big dust seal. Just not sure if this #27 is supposed to be completely recessed into the steering gear body, or if it is supposed to cover the joint, same as in the pic of the new steering box?

Now I am really confused....

Attached Thumbnails Power steering gear pitman shaft question-hummer-steering-box-new.jpg   Power steering gear pitman shaft question-2007-h2-steering-box-parts-27.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Well, I have now verified with another H2, that the condition is NORMAL. That ends the question. Thanks HumminNBoatin and DTS62284 for the great info!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM

everyones been telling you that all is good, again you can pull the dust seal down a bit if you want.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM

I replace the pitman arm and the 'seal' appears to be a cover that slides up and down. To me, you should be able to pull the cover down to cover the splines. No big deal since its not a water tight seal.