PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Power Steer Critical Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Default Power Steer Critical Failure

Im experiencing a rather leathal problem with Hummer H2 2009.

While driving on the buissy highway doing around 120km the power steering suddenly failed. No chanse of turning the steering wheel at all. All I could do was to slam the breaks and hope for the best. I felt like a sitting duck! Lucky other cars were able to avoid me, pure luck! The engine was running and all other systems but the steering was operational. Turning off and then on again restored the steering function.

Needless to say a brought the car to the GM dealer and said - wtf! Two days later they returned the car and said - there is nothing wrong Sir. Well, today it happened again when my wife and 4 year old child was using the car.

I need urgent assistance resolving the issue. As a matter of fact I think GM should tech out and explain what the hell is going on here!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:24 AM

Replace power steering fluid and/or pump and belt. Also, check for leaks in all hoses.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by OWRLTD
Replace power steering fluid and/or pump and belt. Also, check for leaks in all hoses.
Thank you. The car is in for service now and I gave instructions to do all of what you recomended plus look for mechanical issues.

I hope this will fix the problem but also restore the confidence lost!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 AM

Even if you loose your power steering, you still should be able to turn the steering wheel albeit with extra force.

Is 2009 still hydraulic steering or did they go to electronic steering?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Even if you loose your power steering, you still should be able to turn the steering wheel albeit with extra force.

Is 2009 still hydraulic steering or did they go to electronic steering?
That's what I would have thought but no, no way, it felt like the steering lock would had kicked in. No fail safe, that's why I'm conserved and upset

Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 AM

omg...glad u and ur family are ok. hope u get it fix asap.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:36 PM

Any chance this could be an ignition problem? like the steering wheel locked up because of the ignition lock? You should still be able to steer easily at highway speeds without the power steering.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
Any chance this could be an ignition problem? like the steering wheel locked up because of the ignition lock? You should still be able to steer easily at highway speeds without the power steering.
This is more what I would go with. Power steering failure is pretty easy to diagnose. Plus either way you should be able to still turn the vehicle during a failure with A LOT of extra force. Sounds like the wheel is locking.