PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Pirate oversized black billet hood latches

Old 12-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Default Pirate oversized black billet hood latches

Hi guys, just thought i'd let you know i recently purchased (in an attempt to de-chrome) a pair of these piratemfg black billet hinges and the matching billet straps. Have to tell you these things aren't cheap, but i think they look pretty cool. I'm really disappointed by the first impressions. They give you an Allan key (hex thread) to undo the rods, but the hex head looks already to be worn, and the key is turning.

I also look at the size of the bolts which will fit into the head of the hinge and they look like they wont fit, unless i am totally missing the point here. The holes are too small. Am not sure if the black coating has closed the holes up or i am being a goose (possible). Initial impressions aren't good. Will add some pics for you to see what I mean

Not contacted them yet, wanted to ask around here if anyone had any experience with this product first.

You can see them here:
Pirate Mfg - Hummer H2 Exterior Accessories

Attached Thumbnails Pirate oversized black billet hood latches-img_0483.jpg   Pirate oversized black billet hood latches-img_0484.jpg   Pirate oversized black billet hood latches-img_0486.jpg  
Old 12-09-2014, 01:09 PM

They look nice. I hope you get them to work.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Holy cow, just checked their site for taillight guards. $369!!!

Well if they didn't get your parts right they sure got their name right.

Have you tried both standard and metric Allen wrenches?

This is probably why it's spinning.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Yeah I'll try different wrenches for sure but it's a bit disappointing given the price paid. Also I still can't see how those silver rods (bars) will fit through the holes even from the inside. At first glance and holding the bars up aligned with the holes they won't go through.

Wishing I'd just used plastidip right now!

Old 12-10-2014, 12:14 AM

That's interesting. Keep us posted, I've always wanted to buy a set but my god are the expensive!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 AM

im interested in the outcome also. my chrome latches have the chrome flaking off and is a real bad eye sore. if you get these to work it might be the option i go with. keep us posted!!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Angry

Ok, so finally gave in waiting for these Orifices to reply, so i decided to get handy with the tools and force them to work out. Used a hammer to knock the bars out of the "straps" which then allowed me to loosen the grub screws. The grub screws holding the bars in place were in so tight that the alan key (British term!?) that they supplied wouldn't open them, and it twisted eventually, having rounded off one of the interior screws- great Anyway, managed to get them open and the retaining bolts open. There was no way on earth you'd be able to get the retaining bolts through the actual billet parts of the latch. They had to be drilled separately. I am hugely disappointed with the service i received from Pirate MFG, i.e. none, and for the price of these latches, I was expecting way better. Anyway, once managed to get everything put together, i then swapped them out and now they're on the truck, i am pleased with the look, it's better to me than stock, and i prefer the spring loaded mechanism over the oem strap. Now though I have the concern that over time, the grub screw could come loose, and the retaining pin could potentially come loose. So i might need to come up with a way to ghetto fix it, but for now, am happy with them. If you want my advice though, stay clear of PirateMFG.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM

They turned out nice.

Glad you posted up about pirate mfg. they will never see any of my money.

Sucks they stiffed you and didn't stand behind their product.

With that kind of customer service they won't stay in business in this industry...

Old 03-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the support. Even if they told me maybe I needed to drill it out a bit or offered some suggestions (not even talking about a refund here) I'd have been ok about it and tried my best, but silence?! That's equal to F.O. in my book. If I can save another member then it's all good.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 PM

how are these holding up? I ordered a set of these and NOW and seeing this thread... I didnt order the "Strap" and just the other pieces to attach to the rubber strap we have.

Hope it comes out okay... hard to find any black powder latches.. Was looking for a set of OEM black ones but didnt...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pirate oversized black billet hood latches