PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Passlock Symbol & Interior Lights On

Old 08-16-2016, 12:44 AM
Default Passlock Symbol & Interior Lights On

Got a 2005 Model Year H2 with the interior lights permanently ON whilst driving and interior lights ON and the passlock system dash symbol ON for quite some time when locked .

Checked all the usual stuff, door switches, light switches, etc but everything is fine, to me it seems like a passlock system error but I'm not sure what, no error codes.

Anyone any clues?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:38 AM

You might need to reset the passlock system:
How To Reset Passlock and Passkey VATS System | Passlock - GM Security System

I went through this with an H3 (which I'm getting rid of for a plethora of problems, although this one was way, way down on the list as it didn't produce the same symptoms).

Just find about 15 spare minutes & try it. When they say 10 min on the dot, they mean on the dot, so get a timer.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, i will give it a try, its the last option.

The strange thing is the H2 starts normally, just the flashing symbol.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 AM

I went through this after having a significant amount of water enter through the moonroof.

As the article describes, the contact points in the cylinder are not gold plated & can corrode. Considering the humidity, I think that's what has happened. I went from not being able to start the vehicle to having 2 or 3 times where it would not start & I had to go through the procedure. Knock on wood, it hasn't done it again.

I always have the lock symbol, solidly illuminated. It doesn't flash like your's does.
I can't say I've experienced the internal lights staying on, in either the H2 or the H3.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:00 PM

OK I've re-assessed whats happening:-

All the interior lights come on and stay on i.e. the two front overhead passenger lights, the center bulbs only of the middle and rear roof lights and all the door panel lights.

- The lights remain on all the time whilst whilst driving.

- When the vehicle is locked the lights turn off after 10 minutes, the Passkey Symbol also comes ON but goes out after 30 seconds.

- When the vehicle is left unlocked the lights stay On for 8.5 minutes, no Passkey symbol this time.

All the door open messages work correctly so it doesn't seem to be a door-switch related problem. There has been no water leaks or damp conditions.

Otherwise the vehicle starts and runs normally.

The only event that happened recently was a flat battery after I parked-up with the headlights on.

Iv'e tried resetting all the keyfobs, disconnecting the battery and I will try the rather long procedure of resetting the Passlock system.

Have I missed anything?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 AM

Answer = Instrument Panel Brightness thumbwheel stuck on!

Worked it back and forth several times and lights went out.