PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

passlock

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Question passlock

ok so i just bought a 03 h2, it has 103k on it.... the other day i went to start it and it started but the passlock light was on and stayed on until i turned it off and back on... saturday i went to have lunch and coming back out went to start it and it wouldnt start, the passlock light was flashing, i waited 10 minutes and it started.
today i was leaving the gym after driving it there bout and hour later started it and the light was on (car was running) turned it off then back on started driving and it came back on, turned it off again and started it light went off and stayed off...
what should i do, is there anything i can test or replace? thanks guys
btw love the hummer !!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 PM

any ideas or fixes guys??

Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Question

went to use it today, put the key in the ignition and tried to startit and it just died... the passlock light was flashing.... this seems to be happening more.
whatcan i do besides taking it to the stealership?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 PM

I have never had the problem so I can't be of much help. But you may find your answer here:

GM Passlock Security Light Issues : RepairPal

Passlock
In the mid 1990s, the first Passlock systems were introduced and are still used to this day. The Passlock I and Passlock II systems use a sensor in the ignition lock cylinder, which looks for proper rotation of the lock cylinder with the correct key. Upon successful rotation of the ignition lock cylinder, a code will be sent to the Passlock module.

The Passlock III system uses a transponder located under the plastic covering of the key. In most cases, these keys are stamped "PK3" on the metal blade near the plastic covering. An antenna located at the entry point of the ignition lock cylinder reads the transponder data from the key and sends a code to the Passlock control module. This system is very similar to the immobilizer system used by many other manufactures.

The Passlock III antenna and the Passlock I and Passlock II sensors in the lock cylinder are all commonly referred to as Passlock sensors. Upon receipt of the code from the sensor, the Passlock module will match the code received to previously learned values. If there is a match, the Passlock module will send a signal to the engine control module to allow the engine to start and run. The Passlock module is commonly part of the Body Control Module (BCM) or Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Default PassLock Issue

Hello Folks

I spoke with the folks at GM on 10-25-2011.

Tel 1 800 458-8006

I was informed that if enough people call to inform them about the Pass Lock issue they will issue a recall to repair this defect.
I recently had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the folks listed below

Capital Cadillac
2210 Cobb Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30080
770 884-1810

These folks offer the Worse service I ever experienced. While waiting for my car to be repaired I spoke with people who had actually returned five times for the problems that were unresolved
I called their service department in July and scheduled an appointment.

My issue was a simple one. My vehicle (Hummer H3) randomly fails to turnover for no apparent reason. I did notice that the pass lock light appeared, and according to the manual you have to wait exactly ten minutes (ridiculous) before attempting to restart your vehicle. I thought this was really insane. It had happened three times during the month of July.

I decided to do a Google search and to my surprise I found that a large number of folks who own the Hummer series along with many other Chevy customers have been experiencing the same issue. I made copies of a large number of complaints and took them with me to show them to the service manager at the dealership listed above. They told me they have never heard of this issue and this is a first. I was shocked and offered to show them the copies I had made from the web detailing the issues experienced by hundreds of customers and they were not interested.

They were definitely interested in getting a $125.00 fee to place the vehicle on the computer and run a check. Anyway, $452.00 later the vehicle was returned to me with a new battery among other things. I thought my problem was resolved. Two weeks later the same thing happened again. I was out a restaurant with my wife and had to wait ten minutes to start the car after trying to leave.

I contacted the dealership again and they asked if I can bring the vehicle back and leave it for a few days to try and isolate the problem. This meant I would need to rent a vehicle while they figure out a way to rob me again. There is no way I would do any further business with those crooks

I am infuriated that this is a problem experienced by most Chevy owners and GM is not willing to acknowledge it. Instead, they continue to charge loyal customers exorbitant amounts of money to fix an issue which is undeniably a legitimate manufacturer's defect.
I am asking everyone to call the 800 number listed at the beginning of this issue and complain loudly and force GM to do the right thing.

Any they wonder why folks don't buy American cars.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Hello everyone. I was having the same problem on my vehicle. After doing the key restart for several months it finally got to where it would never start.

The dealer wanted to charge me $1000 just for the parts to fix it and to be honest I would rather set it on fire then give them another dime.

I found that you can do the wire cut mehtod but this will only provide you a temporary fix. Eventually the other parts of the system will fail and you will be back to square one.

I got lucky because I found this site How to disable and remove VATS, PASSKey and Passlock Security Systems in GM cars. They sell a bypass that takes passlock out of the equation forever. No more failing parts. They also sell a manual that will instruct you to build your own bypass if you are handy like that. I wasn't. They really saved me because there is no way I could afford the new parts.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM

in several cases the wire right at the ignition switch breaks or starts to break and can cause this problem. you have to be able to remove the cover and inspect the wires going to the switch. a bad key can do this as well . or you can buy a new key and switch and remove old assembly then perform a relearn . the relearn can take several times to stick.this is not as hard as you think. its just like removing any standard key assembly you even called a lock smith to do it for you dont know how much but way cheaper then a stealer.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Thumbs up 2006 H3 Passlock fix

Hello All,

I believe I figured out a free & less than 10 minute workaround for the Passlock interlock problem plaguing my Hummer. I noticed that when I park the truck and remove the key that the stereo and a/c fan still run "TILL I OPEN THE DOOR!!" I figured that the drivers side door switch not only turns the inside lights on but shuts the 2 mentioned devices off. If that door switch controls these features I figured it also notifies the computer that the driver has exited the vehicle thus resetting the parameters for the alarm system thus going into protect mode. The switch in question is a fail close switch meaning when the door is opened it completes a circuit. Simply use a torx wrench and remove the drivers door switch and unplug. Replace the switch and you are good to go.

MADMAC66

Old 04-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Replace the unplugged switch back into the hole and you are good to go. My Hummer has been starting ever since.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MADMAC66
Replace the unplugged switch back into the hole and you are good to go. My Hummer has been starting ever since.
Can you be more specific as to which "door switch", or list the GM part #? My wife's "new" '08 has locked her out twice now, both times when I was on the road somewhere and couldn't help. A picture would be nice!

Quick Reply: passlock