PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

oil pan gasket leaking :-(

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Default oil pan gasket leaking :-(

So I went under the truck today and saw that there is a leak on the oil pan gasket and was wondering if anyone has chance their gasket can provide me with some guidance on how to remove the oil pan ????

Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 AM

I haven't done an H2 but I've done numerous oil pans on other vehicles. They are a PITA to get resealed. Honestly I have never had too great of luck, always seems the rear seal leaks again after a while.

If it were me I would take it somewhere and have it done by the pros who will warranty their work in case anything down the road happens.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Default Just did it (or had it done)!

First, ensure that it is JUST your oil pan. I found out I had a rear main seal leaking as well (supposedly notorious for this). Package deal at the dealer for just over 1200. I know the diff had to be dropped.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 AM

Ill be getting this job done by what used to be a hummer dealer around here just to be safe .....

Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Default Dealer pulled a fast one... NOT FALLING FOR IT!

I have never had a leak in my Hummer, I keep it in the garage on a floor that would show leaks of any kind. The only thing that drops now and then is the AC Condenser drain tube, but that is water and clearly so.

I have a habit of every time I back the H2 out of the garage, I look back to see if anything has dripped. NEVER A SINGLE DROP!

Took the H2 to the Dealer yesterday for an Oil Change.

Tried to up sell me an air filter... I change the air filters myself, so NO SALE!

Comes back and tells me my Brake Master Cylinder is leaking. A year ago, a mechanic told me my Master Cylinder was leaking and I tightened the nuts on the aluminum tubes and it stopped leaking immediately.

I have always suspected the mechanic loosened the nuts so the BMC would leak. Not a single drop in well over a year.

I checked for leaks last weekend, NONE! Now all of a sudden during the brake job, they find the leaking BMC is leaking.

He told me the left front differential is leaking. I replaced both front wheel bearings just a year ago and everything was dry then. AGAIN, not a single drop of anything on the garage floor yesterday, BEFORE THE OIL CHANGE.

AND, he tells me the oil pan is leaking.

Cost to fix... Brake cylinder, $1,200
Differential leak. $511
Oil pan leak $750

NOPE! I brought the truck home and after an hour of sitting in my garage, I walk out and look... OIL PUDDLE!

Remember, SEVEN YEARS not a single leak EVER except the AC condenser drain. Checked the garage floor as I backed out to go to the Dealer... NOT A DROP!

Bring the truck back from the Dealer... OIL PUDDLE!

I really have lost all confidence in mechanics and my Hummer Dealer is one of the largest Cadillac Dealers west of the Mississippi. So I am told.

I would NEVER take my H2 back to let them REPAIR what I honestly believe THEY CREATED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I guess I am going to have to learn how to do MOST of the repairs on my Hummer to avoid the THIEVES AND SCAMMERS that pose as MECHANICS.

I did the wheel bearings myself. PIECE OF CAKE! I always do my own brakes. I will be doing my own oil changes from now on and it looks like I will be replacing my oil pan.

Though I suspect they just loosened the bolts enough to cause a leak, so they can just retighten the bolts and then charge me for a new gasket.

FRAKIN THIEVES!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM

You can have leaks with out it dripping on the floor. Lots of differentials I have seen with a slight leak but they do not leave a puddle. Sometimes when you get your oil changed oil will run down the oil pan and or cross member and if they don't wipe it off you can have a puddle of oil on the floor when you get home. I doubt they loosend your brake lines to make a sale. Especially if you had a leak there previously. It's possible that they gave your vehicle a through inspection and you just are surprised by the report. It would be best to take your rig to someone else for a 2nd opinion.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 PM

$1200 for replacing the main rear seal and oil pan gasket is a very cheap price .
I paid 2100 a few months ago ... Replace the main seal , the oil pan and the pressure switch

Also the Valley pan and knock sensors were replaced , plus the diff pinon seal
next to come the front cover gasket, the front seal and the valve covers ...
UFFF these beasts likes to drip oil

Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Default When it comes to knowing my leaks, I am OCD.

Calif Phil: You can have leaks with out it dripping on the floor. Lots of differentials I have seen with a slight leak but they do not leave a puddle.

Dizeman: Phil, I very aware of my engine compartment and undercarriage. I check my oil every other day, have a clean garage floor, so any drips will be seen. Every time I start my truck and back out of the garage I get four drips, four feet apart from my AC condenser drain tube, far right side of the truck.

I checked in the engine compartment, 15 minutes before I took my truck over to have the oil changed. No leaks. No wet frame, no oil in my skid plate, dirt, but no oil. I am meticulous, because I want this truck to last. At 63, I would like to leave it to my son in perfect shape when I am gone, so I maintain it and keep an eye on everything.

The IRONY and the thing that stood out is that there was no oil leaks just minutes prior to my taking the H2 to the dealer. He said he would do a diagnostic before he changed the oil and air filter.

He came to me in the lounge and said (BEFORE HE DID ANYTHING) that I had an oil leak, a differential leak and a master cylinder leak.

$2,000 worth of repairs.

I just changed out both front wheel bearing assemblies 400 miles ago and did a differential check then. No leaks, It's due for a differential oil flush and fill, but it was tight the last time I checked.

I have been traveling so I have not driven the truck much in the past eight months, mostly to the store and back once a week.

I don't believe in coincidences. The bottom of the truck was dry 15 minutes before I had my oil change and then when the Dealer Service Tech looks at it, all of a sudden everything fluid except the radiator has sprung a leak? Outside of my range of fantasy.

Calif Phil: I doubt they loosend your brake lines to make a sale. Especially if you had a leak there previously. It's possible that they gave your vehicle a through inspection and you just are surprised by the report.

DIZEMAN: I am absolutely CERTAIN the brake lines were loosened, because this is the second time. I checked, it was two years ago another mechanic, not the same place, but another shop told me my Brake Master Cylinder was leaking. Wanted $1,000 to fix it.

I took the truck home, got out a box wrench and tightened the nut on the side of the BMC on each of the two tubes, they were loose enough to drip a slow drip.

I tightened both of them, sprayed the engine compartment down with foaming engine cleaner to remove all remnants of brake fluid, rinsed and dried with a leaf blower.

After I tightened the two nuts, THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER DID NOT LEAK A SINGLE DROP FOR TWO YEARS. I check that every other day when I check the oil. I've never had to add brake fluid, always on the full line.

So, I don't for a second imagine that my Brake Master Cylinder just started leaking between my house when I checked it and the Dealership which is 4 miles away.

The side of the BMC is damp now, just like the time two years ago when the other shop told me the same thing. I tightened both tube nuts again yesterday. Wiped off the brake fluid with liquid detergent and drove the truck 20 miles today. NOT A DROP OF BF LEAKED!

It would be best to take your rig to someone else for a 2nd opinion.

Mechanics BY VOLUME are among the crookedest service people on the planet, running a close TIE with Home Air Conditioning Techs. At least I did find one good, honest mechanic. I have NEVER in 40 years in Vegas found an AC Tech that was not a crook.

I stand corrected, I did find one AC Tech a few years ago that was honest and good. I ran an ad on Craigslist that said, "Are there any honest AC Techs out there or are they all crooked as hell?" A woman emailed me and told me her brother was honest and in fact... HE WAS! He showed me how the AC Techs were setting my AC up to fail every year, which required SIX Condenser motors, one every year for SIX YEARS. $700 each.

But, when I tried to get him back, he said he fell off a roof and broke his back and cannot climb ladders any longer. I THINK THE OTHER AC TECHS PUT A HIT ON HIM! Lolo! Kidding! Kinda !

I've sprayed the entire bottom of the Hummer clean, checked the Oil filter, the oil drain plug and the gasket around the oil pan. ALL ARE CLEAN AS OF THIS MORNING, so I will be able to tell in the next couple of days if there are any leaks.

I did discover that the oil filter was not screwed tight and there was one drop of oil hanging from the very tip of the oil filter, so maybe they did not tighten the oil filter so it would drip.

Do I think they would leave an oil filter a little loose and slightly loosen brake tubes on the BMC to make a $2,000 sale? I ABSOLUTELY DO BASED ON PAST EXPERIENCES!

I took my wife to lunch today on the other side of town, a 20 mile round trip and when I pulled into my garage... I got undressed and about 30 minutes later I checked to see if there was a drip. NONE! It may be too early, but I suspect there will not be a drip tomorrow either. Not since I tightened the oil filter and brake lines.

Believe me... I WISH IT WASN'T SO!

This is KONG, my 2007 H2. I take very good care of KONG. (I don't know the rules regarding photos and videos, so if I have broken a rule, please let me know and I will reduce the photos, remove the photos... whatever the rules are. I am new at this BBS thang.)

Got NEW TIRES last week... Video below of my first day with NEW KICKS!

http://dizeman.com/kong/kongtires.mp4

Last edited by DIZEMAN; 04-24-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 PM

H2 Miami.... I found a shop yesterday here in Vegas that rents lifts, all the tools and the owner is a Super Duper Mechanic that built race cars from the ground up.

They have GREAT ratings and everyone seems to like them so for the small stuff, I may just rent the lift which is $35 an hour and it comes with 300 tools, air ratches, impact guns and the mechanics there will answer questions as you go along for an extra $10 an hour or I can just pay them $95 plus parts and they will do the job for me.

I am going to go over and rent the lift ($35 hr) to install some new shocks and then I will try and get a feel of just how good these guys are and how honest they are. If they are as honest as everyone says, I may have them do a total gasket/seal replacement, just to make sure the next 112,000 miles gets off to a fresh start.

I will put a link to their webpages, just in case there are any Las Vegas locals in this group. Sin City Diy Auto Repair - "Automotive Repair", 'Auto Repair", Car Repair Shops, "do it yourself" "Mechanic"

Last edited by DIZEMAN; 04-24-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 AM

Nice looking rig and you also picked out some great tires. I had those on a H3 we used to have and really liked them.

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket leaking :-(