PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Odometer reset?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Default Odometer reset?

The odometer on my '07 H2, w/less than 50k miles on it, reset itself and then stopped counting at 16 miles. When I disconnect the battery, it goes back to 0 and stops counting once it hits 16 miles.

My trip odometers were unaffected until I disconnected the battery. Oil life/engine hours/fuel used/fuel economy, etc is still intact and seems to be working.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about putting a new cluster in, anybody have a p/n? thanks

Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Clusters have to be ordered VIN specific - and since you'll have replaced it, it will always be on the carfax listed as an odometer warning. Even though we did a lot of legit repairs, it always hurt the value a little bit. I think you should trade your 16 mile H2...that's a rare bird.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Ordered from who? Can't they just program any cluster I bring in?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 AM

No - because of the odometer issue, all clusters need to be programmed by GM and then they report it in their dealer system - which determines whether or not you have warranty or not. If any dealer could program the mileage to a certain amount, there'd be a huge liability from a re-sale standpoint and an over-paying-for-warranty-items standpoint.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Ah... that's a pretty crappy deal. Have to pay to get it fixed and it negatively affects the resale value. It's just under 50k miles but I've had it for more than 5 years, so I'm out of warranty. Is there any manufacturer liability when it comes to odometer accuracy? Any chance it's covered under some lesser known warranty?

Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by blckh2
Ah... that's a pretty crappy deal. Have to pay to get it fixed and it negatively affects the resale value. It's just under 50k miles but I've had it for more than 5 years, so I'm out of warranty. Is there any manufacturer liability when it comes to odometer accuracy? Any chance it's covered under some lesser known warranty?
Yea - they were always a pain from a service standpoint,too. They would take forever (weeks) to program and get out to us, and naturally the car couldn't (or shouldn't) be driven so it's not racking up bonus miles - and loan cars aren't cheap.

Interesting point about liability - I don't really know. My gut tells me no, especially out of the warranty period, but from a 'good idea' standpoint - it may make sense for them to hook you up with a deal that costs them very little rather than risk even a frivolous lawsuit down the line. I wouldn't hold my breath with GM, especially with a bastard branded vehicle.

Some states you can go to jail for knowingly tampering with odometers - which isn't the case here - but it's an issue that most people don't think about yet it's pretty serious.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 AM

My 08 SUT is still under warranty and I had the cluster replaced cause the clear lens had a crack in it. The dealership replaced it without asking. Fortunately I have a warranty, but it still took 3 days to order the new cluster from GM. I would just stick with the dealership to take care of it, even though it will cost some bucks, your a** is covered.