PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Odd voltmeter behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Default Odd voltmeter behavior

I searched all variations of voltmeter, volt meter, vol tmeter, etc, etc.....found nothing.

Voltmeter will sometimes read very high (in the 19s), at times it will behave normally...it is sporadic.

System is functioning normally, meaning that the charging system is 100% intact and working.

I was told there is no recall or TSB...but it is a "known issue" and there is a fix. Before I hand it over I kind of want to have a better understanding of the problem, and more importantly, what this "fix" is. I'm the type who likes to know details...not just drop off a broke truck and then pick it up later.

So the research begins.

04 H2, 60K, stock

Tony

Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 PM

It is the voltage regulator inside the alternator or a funky voltmeter. One way to double check the problem is to hook up a multimeter to one of the cigarette lighters and see what the voltage says when you see 19 volts on your dash. If the multimeter reads 19 volts then you know it is the alternator. If it stays at 13.8 volts and the dash says 19 volts then you know it is likely the voltmeter.

On the other hand, if your onboard computer somehow enters into the equation then it is probably a firmware fix that is involved.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 AM

Thats the plan for tonight after work....follow the volts, thanks for the knock on the head (I should have thought of that...I used to be an electrician!!!). I'll have to remember to keep the Fluke with me while driving, just in case it won't cooperate tonight. As I said, the behavior appears very random. I will advise. Thanks again!!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 AM

No problem. Make the job easy and stop by Radio Shack to pick up a 12v plug for the lighter sockets that has a short pigtail on it. Then you won't have to dig behind the dash to hook up your Fluke.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Roger that!!! I'm heading North about 30 minutes to pick up a NIB rear seat headrest DVD entertainment system in about an hour...I'll stop be RS on the way and then have my weekend planned! LOL!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Well...it has to be in the gauge itself, in the dash....before I got around to testing, the meter has been pointing straight down...like...6 o'clock. Supposed to have it looked at and fixed tomorrow...some tech who knows some other tech knows what to do. I just want to know what they are planning to do before they do it...I like knowing those details.

The gauge moves, like all the others, when you turn on the key....but then it loops around past 19V and keeps going. LOL!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 AM

All gauges are run by stepper motors which have been a big problem with earlier GM vehicles including Hummer. The dealer will only replace the entire instrument cluster for about $ 450. But do a search om eBay and you will find several guys who will replace all the steppers for anywhere from $60-120. I had mine done a while back...temp gauge was bad. All you have to do is remove the instrument cluster and send it in....very easy, about 4 screws. Takes about a week and you can still drive your Hummer without it. Do a search for "Instrument cluster repair"
________
Vaporizers Info

Last edited by olfart; 04-03-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM

olfart....is there anything special that needs to be done if the entire unit is swapped? I was worrying about the odometer...but you said above the vehicle can still be driven, so I'm a little confused. If I had my druthers....I'd rather have my dealership provide me with a new, complete unit...and then I do all the work (four screws). However....if a direct swap out is not as easy as I am imagining...that might not be an option.

Thanks for the pointers...I did some searching and came up with several alternatives!

Tony

Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 AM

If you get a new cluster it will have to be programmed by the dealer for your vehicle. If you send your cluster out to be rebuilt on eBay they will take care of it. You are probably looking at about $500 from a dealer. Here is the one I used for a rebuild
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...Q5fAccessories

He was more expensive than most of the others, but seems to have more experience and I was a little leery of the guys doing it for just $ 60 and up. Mine cost about $170 for replacement of all the stepper motors and he did a good job and warranties his work. Also he was alot closer to where I live. He also offers replacement clusters if you want to go that route, but if you have yours rebuilt your odometer reading will come back the same as when you sent it out. Not sure about updating the odometer if you install a new cluster. Mine was gone for about 5 days and during that time I drove my H2 and used my GPS to monitor my speed.
________
Pregnant ****

Last edited by olfart; 04-03-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:30 PM

Being an impatient and instant-gratification type of person...I've used the link above and ordered a complete replacement cluster from Digital Dash Solutions. For about $70 extra I get pretty much everything new (like olfart) without having to go through the hassle of removing the cluster, sending it off, and waiting for it to come back. Should have it by Thursday. To do the swap you have to provide an odometer disclosure statement, and the new cluster will come all preset. Either way you might end up with a few more miles on the thing than what the odemeter reads....but the only way around that is to park it while you wait for parts. Lucky for me...I'm only about 3 miles form work.

Quick Reply: Odd voltmeter behavior