PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

O3 random miss fire when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Default O3 random miss fire when cold

So this may be a long winded post. So bear with me...

In October I took it my h2 in to get the exhaust manifold bolts fixed and figured I'd get some maintenance done while it was there. I had already stored my jeep for the winter and it was taking up the garage or I would have done all these things myself. I don't like anyone touching my rigs.

So this is what I asked him to do:

Manifold bolts
Plugs and wires- denso double platinum- rather just had ac delco
Coolant flush- get rid of Dexcool
Trans fluid filter
Fuel filter- which he thought was in the tank and didn't do

The dipstick tube was rotten and the passenger manifold had a 3" crack in it so they were replaced. The dipstick tube snaps off in the block. Mechanic fights it out. Get my truck back everything seems good. $2200

This is not my DD so it is parked for a few days. I decide to go fishing 3.5 hrs from home. Go to leave for home start the truck and I have no oil pressure at idle. Give it a shot of gas and I had pressure again. Tried this several times and same scenario. I don't hear any bearing noise. Figure it is the gauge or sensor. Roll the dice and drive home without issue. Take it my mechanic that I have been going to for 20yrs. I'm not real happy at the moment because I'm pretty confident that this has been caused by him fighting the dipstick tube and dropping shavings and stuff into my oil pan which got sucked into the pump destroying it. He does 2 or 3 engine flushes which does nothing except coste another $400 for synthetic oil changes. Now I muself do a seafoam flush drive it for 1/2hr and change the oil once again. So I've had enough and tell him to change the oil pump. $1800. Get the truck back seems good except I notice a flutter or minor vibration at idle that wasn't there before.

So now we're into winter. I start the truck and it's -20c. The truck's rpm's are up and down and I can hear a miss fire but it won't throw a code. Then finally the check engine light comes on after a month. I get a PO300-random miss fire. I start googling and there is a just a plethora of things it could be.

Intake leak
Plugs,wires, coil packs
MAF
Coolant temp sensor
Cat
And the list goes on.

Next time I start the truck the check engine light goes off but I still feel the missfire and sluggish throttle response. When the truck gets warm it seems to run fine. This is happening all winter and I don't want anyone else touching my truck but it's too cold to do this myself. I finally get so Frustrated I bring it back to the mechanic. Absolutely pissed that my truck ran flawless except for exhaust leaks and trying to be proactive keeping up on the maintenance. $4400 later and the thing runs like a POS.

He's convinced it is the MAF. I tell him that on the 03 the fuel filter is external and to change it while it's here. He cleans the MAF and replaces fuel filter. $90
Truck runs good on the way home. Don't drive it for a few days. Then I'm walking up the driveway and I smell fuel. F$$k me!!!!!! But I can't see anything leaking. Maybe some fuel is sitting on top of the tank from changing the filter. I'm desperate for any solution that isn't going to cost me. The next day it is raining cold and damp. I start the h2 and it is running rough and missing so bad that it stalls. Checkengine light on. I scan it.

PO 300- random missfire
PO 171- lean bank 1
PO 174- lean bank 2

I google. I'm leaning towards intake leak. So I do the brake cleaner test and don't hear an rpm change or any bubbling etc. Don't want to bring to mechanic but need a smoke test done on the intake and have had the h2 on jackstamds twice and can't determine where the fuel smell is coming from but it's strong. With no evidence of fuel anywhere. This also pisses me off because there was no fuel smell issue before the filter was changed.

So he does a bunch of scans and tests. The smoke test is performed on intake as well as fuel system- no leaks. The h2 isn't throwing any codes but he agrees that he can hear and feel the missfire. The MAF is reading low but still within specs.
So after havingybtruck for 3 days he finally finds the fuel leak- fuel sending unit return line pinholes. $998.

I got the truck back last night. Noticed white powder on the door. Wax or compound from the scrapes he was trying to hide from banging the door off the hoist��

Started truck this morning and it's a chilly -8c and the truck was still missfiring.

Where do I go from here? I'm ready to cut my losses and sell it. I try so hard to keep her mint and everytime someone touches it they f&$k it up.

PLEASE help!!! I'm about to have an anarism over this!

All input welcome I need to resolve this.

Last edited by madmayo; 03-28-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 AM

No one has anything??? I drove for 20 minutes yesterday. Truck seemed sluggish but it was windy so I didnt think much about it until the engine light came on. I scanned it and now have
PO 327- knock sensor
PO 332- knock sensor

Don't know why I'm even bothering posting. It's not a problem with my chrome handles peeling so no one has any knowledge to share.

Think I would have better luck getting this sorted out by my jeep brothers.....

Old 03-29-2015, 12:06 PM

Sorry, my friend, but I cannot help you in this question! My knowledge is not enough to advice you something useful! I can recommend you to my mechanic in Richmond Hill. may be he could help you if you okay to drive from Cambridge!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by madmayo
Don't know why I'm even bothering posting. It's not a problem with my chrome handles peeling so no one has any knowledge to share.

Think I would have better luck getting this sorted out by my jeep brothers.....
I get your frustration, if you're honestly interested, why deal with people who know Chrysler POS power trains?
Find a GM forum, preferably trucks, & post a question about your 6.0L.

Actually, did you bother to google before hand?
Let me google that for you.
There seems to be a lot of info on this known problem.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:16 PM

If DTCs P0327 and P0332 are set at the same time, inspect for poor connections at the knock sensor harness jumper, located at the left rear side of the intake manifold. If the connections are good then check for poor connections at the 2 knock sensors. It's been known to go bad from water and dirt. Goodluck.

Hope this helps!

Name:  H2%20knock%20sensors.gif
Views: 189
Size:  13.6 KB

Last edited by citiboy; 03-29-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
I get your frustration, if you're honestly interested, why deal with people who know Chrysler POS power trains?
Find a GM forum, preferably trucks, & post a question about your 6.0L.

Actually, did you bother to google before hand?
Let me google that for you.
There seems to be a lot of info on this known problem.
Yeah, I apologize. I am so fed up. Dumped $5500 since October. And it all started with being proactive and has snowballed since.

Yep, I've googled the hell out of it. And more often then not the posts all pertain who people have replaced the harnesses, knock sensors and intake gaskets reset the code and it comes back 7 miles down the road. They then take it to gm and they can't fix it either. Some have replaced the parts multiple times.It was sitting in my mechanics shop all week warm and dry. He did perform a lot of scans, pressure and smoke tests. Then the code came out of no where.

Does anyone know what the correct timing is? Tried googling. I want to put a timing light on and check it? When the oil pump was replaced the mechanic had the timing cover off. Not sure if they would have had to touch the timing
But if it is now a tooth out the computer may not be able to compensate. I may be out to lunch here so...

Thanks

Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by citiboy
If DTCs P0327 and P0332 are set at the same time, inspect for poor connections at the knock sensor harness jumper, located at the left rear side of the intake manifold. If the connections are good then check for poor connections at the 2 knock sensors. It's been known to go bad from water and dirt. Goodluck.

Hope this helps!

Going to check connections now if I can get to them.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by collega
Sorry, my friend, but I cannot help you in this question! My knowledge is not enough to advice you something buseful! I can recommend you to my mechanic in Richmond Hill. may be he could help you if you okay to drive from Cambridge!
There is a shop close that specializes in vettes and high dollar muscle cars. If I can't figure this out. It will be the deuces next stop.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:05 PM

These things are frustrating. Very frustrating. Especially when people only know of the problem, not the solution.

If you hadn't dumped any money in it, I'd almost say to get a quote on fixing it & a quote on replacing the engine. At times, overkill is cheaper than finding/fixing the issue.

I wish I could help w/ the timing. I haven't a clue.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by madmayo
There is a shop close that specializes in vettes and high dollar muscle cars. If I can't figure this out. It will be the deuces next stop.
You need knowledgeable mechanic who could concentrate on this issue and find right solution for your problem. Sometimes it will take time, but it could be right choice and could save you big $$$ with future repair.

Quick Reply: O3 random miss fire when cold