PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie "bling" question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Default Newbie "bling" question

Hello all. Just getting ready to buy an H2 and was looking to sparkle it up a bit. I see you can buy exterior chrome that is "real" and also the plastic chrome that adheres to the existing body trim. I unfortunatley can only afford the plastic. Not looking to do too much. Hood hinges, door handles (peferably just the handle itself and not the whole thing) side vents, gas cap and I have also seen an H2 that had the two rails on the hood vent deck chrome but not the whole thing. Kinda like that look. Anyways, should I just stay away from the plastic cover chrome until I can afford the real stuff ? Does it look tacky? If it doesn't look too bad any direction on where to get it ? Thanks

Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM

You're in luck--there are way too many H2 owners out there stripping chrome off of their deuces and making everything black. Keep watching Craigslist, Ebay and the forums and you'll come away with some respectable stuff for a good price.
I was just able to acquire a brand new billet aluminum hood louver that replaces both the handles and plastic bucket for an incredible price and I'd found it new online for $900! I paid less than 1/3 of that.
I've also replaced the side louvers next to the doors with some nice GM authorized plastic pieces for $40.
You'll just have to really watch what you're trying to buy in plastic--probably all of the stick on stuff is cheesy and cheap. Anything that's got the GM authorized logo on it is quality stuff that you'll be impressed with the quality.
Alot of the aftermarket billet parts are top quality, but if you buy them from a vendor, they're going to cost a fortune. You'll find guys online that are just trying to get rid of it and sell cheap.
I've actually talked to some previous HUMMER mechanics that have saved some stuff from going to the dumpster--and I'm talking new take off chrome and quality dealer optioned stuff. They just wanted to get rid of it.
I paid $50 for new HUMMER chrome tail light guards that originally sold for over $250 when HUMMER was in business.
Just keep your eyes open and keep posting what you're looking for and alot of times forum members will step up with what you're asking for at a good price.
Welcome to the forums by the way, post up in the new members section.
BTW--You can chrome up your HUMMER without going tacky. I've got a moderate amount on mine and think it looks classy. There's another deuce in town with lots of stick on chrome crap and it's just tacky. Just be modest and you'll be fine!

Last edited by twinmill28; 02-15-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by twinmill28
You're in luck--there are way too many H2 owners out there stripping chrome off of their deuces and making everything black. Keep watching Craigslist, Ebay and the forums and you'll come away with some respectable stuff for a good price.
I was just able to acquire a brand new billet aluminum hood louver that replaces both the handles and plastic bucket for an incredible price and I'd found it new online for $900! I paid less than 1/3 of that.
I've also replaced the side louvers next to the doors with some nice GM authorized plastic pieces for $40.
You'll just have to really watch what you're trying to buy in plastic--probably all of the stick on stuff is cheesy and cheap. Anything that's got the GM authorized logo on it is quality stuff that you'll be impressed with the quality.
Alot of the aftermarket billet parts are top quality, but if you buy them from a vendor, they're going to cost a fortune. You'll find guys online that are just trying to get rid of it and sell cheap.
I've actually talked to some previous HUMMER mechanics that have saved some stuff from going to the dumpster--and I'm talking new take off chrome and quality dealer optioned stuff. They just wanted to get rid of it.
I paid $50 for new HUMMER chrome tail light guards that originally sold for over $250 when HUMMER was in business.
Just keep your eyes open and keep posting what you're looking for and alot of times forum members will step up with what you're asking for at a good price.
Welcome to the forums by the way, post up in the new members section.
BTW--You can chrome up your HUMMER without going tacky. I've got a moderate amount on mine and think it looks classy. There's another deuce in town with lots of stick on chrome crap and it's just tacky. Just be modest and you'll be fine!
Thanks for your help. Your right, I don't want to get too much on it, just a couple of things.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM

I sold alot of my chrome already but will be selling my chrome hood louvers & lower chrome grill soon...twinmill is right be patient...you will get deals on bling.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM

emtae001: I have some billet that came with my h2 when I bought it and some plastic I put afterwards. I really like the ABS plastic, it looks really good, so if I had an H2 with no chrome accessories, and I were to do it all over again, I would just stick to ABS, it's pretty great.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 PM

DO not spend too much ... After a while you will rid of most of it .. Every new Hummer owner want it but then later you realize it is better without the plastic chrome
IME ( in my experience )

Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 PM

My entire rig was chrome...I'll look through my parts piles to see whats left that hasn't been stripped or painted.

FYI, every hummer part w/ real chrome on it is ****ing junk... so many ******* manufacturers started making cheap quality parts for the h2s when people were spending big money on these new. Dont get sold on the triple chrome bull****, its not even close to the old bumper chrome everyone remembers.

All the ABS plastic chrome parts have been damn near flawless going though hard michigan winters (more salt on the roads than snow).

Suppose if your not anywhere there is salt, you'd be fine. Just my experiences...

Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM

I have the abs chrome on mine for 2 and half years, and the chrome looks as good as new, no chipping whatsoever.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:51 PM

It's all a matter of taste, but I really dislike chrome on a SUV. The front grill looks ok, but otherwise I would stay away from getting carried away. I see so many pimped H2's, it's really sad. They where made to be off roaders...instead people put 24" rims on them and bling them out. H2's should take the H1 as their inspiration.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 PM

After looking more in to this I think I am going to leave it just the way it is. Thanks for all you input.

Quick Reply: Newbie "bling" question