PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hummer Owner Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Default New Hummer Owner Here

Hey everyone,

I am this/close to purchasing an 03 Hummer with 102k on her. I've been intrigued about these vehicles for some time and I finally have the chance to own one.

My question is: What are some things that I need to check out/get fixed immediately. I'm very much into preventative maintenance and here in Chicago, majority of things mechanically break when it's 20-degrees below 0.

Help me out folks and thank you so much.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:00 PM

First of all...get one, you'll love it.
Check for loose steering. The big tires eat it up. May have to replace pitman/idler arms, possibly hubs... water leaks into the cab sometimes-seal up all roof lights with silicone and unclog sunroof drain tubes if it has one.

Go thru the 4 wheel drive make sure it engages/disengages ok

check for leaks around oil pan especially the front

I bought an 03 have it's been great, although it's a southern truck and still looks clean underneath..... Changed ALL my fluids when I got it and greased the hell out of it as the skidplate on the front has to come off to get to the grease fittings and they may have been skipped by some lazy ***.

Good luck

Old 11-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Along with the above mentioned. Check for broken exhaust manifold bolts. Bypass the radiator internal transmission cooler or replace the radiator.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Check and see if your mirrors fully function. License plate trays rip out. The plastic studs break on the inside. I've fixed mine once and will have to do it again. Check the interior door panels for cracks around the handles as well as map pockets. These parts are hard to find and are $$$$.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:34 AM

Im not going to lie you ... with 102k miles some things are going to be due for replacement/upgrade
However you are going to love it so much than spend some time/ $ will be fun

I will check first of all engine/tranny fluids . Look for any coolant contamination. Mostly in the tranny. Hummers got an issue with the coolant mix in tranny fluid due the bad tranny cooler design

Replacement/upgrades tou may need

First of all aftermarket tranny cooler
Shocks
Some front end parts
Front Hubs

Those are some of the weak links in Hummers .. none of the parts are expensives and all is DIY

Overall a very good and durable truck

Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Well I have the dreaded broken manifold bolt and the heat went out. Anyone in chicago or illinois area can take a look see or northwest indiana.

It's a beautiful truck well built and very easy on the eyes. Looking for recs on a good mechanic in the illinois area as I just don't have the time and those exhaust manifold bolts seem like a helluva job.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:41 PM

My wife and I really enjoy our 07 H2.
We had the dealer where we purchased it repair the mirrors, drivers rear manifold bold and replace both back window regulators. I had to replace the front upper door moldings due to holes in the corners and I replaced and siliconed all the new Recon Smoked roof clearance lights I installed. Be sure to seal each roof corner light grommet which leaks also.