PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Here! Question about Spare Tire Carriers

Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Default New Here! Question about Spare Tire Carriers

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I own a 2005 H2. I have a spare tire carrier and I am wanting to remove it. Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to remove it and rewire the license plate light? That would be great! Thanks in advance!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Hmm never really looked at mine so wouldn't know on how to take it off. You could just take it to your local GM dealer and have them remove it don't know how much it'll cost you though. Why would you want to remove it anyway always thought it would be great protection in case someone were to crash into me.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Yeah i pretty much would keep it to see what happens when some idiot rearends you....

Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 AM

I want to remove it because it is such a hassle when I am loading/unloading from the trunk. And even if some idiot ever does rear end me I doubt he/she will be sitting high enough to even hit the spare tire carrier.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SIR Killswitch
Hmm never really looked at mine so wouldn't know on how to take it off. You could just take it to your local GM dealer and have them remove it don't know how much it'll cost you though. Why would you want to remove it anyway always thought it would be great protection in case someone were to crash into me.
I forgot to mention that last time I asked the dealer to do it they wanted to charge me $320. I said "hello no."

Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM

I am looking to purchase a spare tire carrier assy for my '03 so if you want to sell it I would be interested---and good luck with removal-- I just purchased my '03 Saturday so I am no help with the removal but surely someone on here will chime in soon--

Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 PM

google spare tire removal on h2 and a site carries the rear tow hooks and plate relocation bracket for the removal good luck try gstylehummer.com

Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 PM

In order to remove it you will need to replace certain parts that are on a non-rear tire carrier truck.

Parts you will need:
licence plate pocket with light
tow hooks
rear center plastic bumper cover that has HUMMER embossed on it.

These parts that are on your tire carring H2 are slightly different than a non carrier truck.
your licence plate pocket does not have a light in it.

The tow hooks on a carrier truck are also made for fitment of the tire carrier and you will NEED to replace them if you pull the carrier off as they are what holds the rear bumper to the truck.

The center bumper cover that is embossed with HUMMER as a hole in it so the power wire can be ran to the license plate light.

Removing the system and installing it is a very simple "commons sense" task.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:19 AM

The removal only takes about 10 minutes. Pretty straight forward. Few bolts come off, lift, sit down, done.

But I do have a question..Where does a guy get the license plate pocket with light? Is the light battery operated? I'm assuming its not wired since the plastic housing doesn't have any holes in it.

Best prices for tow hooks??