Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Most common problems with H2's

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:38 AM

What's the fix for the mirrors?

Thanks

Robbie

Old 11-21-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bigblueoval
What's the fix for the mirrors?

Thanks

Robbie
Depends on what is wrong with yours and what model year you have.

I just replaced my mirror adjust motors (not the fold-in function) on my 2008 H2. I will post a quick write-up - with pics! - later this weekend. It really is a 15-minute, 2-tool job.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Default O6 H2 Luxury

Bought mine in 08 off lease with 25K miles. First Transmission went at 66K, second one went at 83K because the inter cooler went. Third one at 120K. I have 156K miles today. Other Problems:
  • Wiper Linkage went
  • Radiator Went
  • Gas Cap
  • Rearview Mirror fell off and broke while driving
  • Tire Carrier Rusted so wont hold spare tire
  • Also, I don't open the back because of the Rusted Tire Carrier
  • All interior lights randomly illuminate
  • Water leaks from both "Oh Sh*t" handles
  • Current Error Codes 449, 300 causing Engine light
Good Things:
  • Replaced tires after 100K miles
  • First Break job at $100K miles
  • Still commands "road respect"
  • Nothing better on the road in the snow
I will never get rid of mine!

Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM

I posted a new thread on how to replace the mirror motors

Old 04-12-2018, 09:16 PM
Question New, thinking of buying 2004 H2

Originally Posted by Craig Cooper
Bought mine in 08 off lease with 25K miles. First Transmission went at 66K, second one went at 83K because the inter cooler went. Third one at 120K. I have 156K miles today. Other Problems:
  • Wiper Linkage went
  • Radiator Went
  • Gas Cap
  • Rearview Mirror fell off and broke while driving
  • Tire Carrier Rusted so wont hold spare tire
  • Also, I don't open the back because of the Rusted Tire Carrier
  • All interior lights randomly illuminate
  • Water leaks from both "Oh Sh*t" handles
  • Current Error Codes 449, 300 causing Engine light
Good Things:
  • Replaced tires after 100K miles
  • First Break job at $100K miles
  • Still commands "road respect"
  • Nothing better on the road in the snow
I will never get rid of mine!
Man that sure does seem like alot of problems in just a few miles?

Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre Suranto
I've owned several H2s. That list seems very unusual.

Yes, it's true the engine will outlast the transmission, but should last at least 150k miles if taken care of.

I would say that the most common problems (in general) are more related to smaller less stuff like fit and finish of moldings/weatherstripping, wear and breakdown of door panels and center consoles (which can be refurbished) and weeping rear main seals; all of which I would say are fairly minor.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre Suranto
I have an 04 H2. Here are things I've had to fix/replace:
1) cluster bulbs out/dim dic screen/ stepper motors, had cluster refurbished
2) climate control bulbs went out (soldered in new ones)
3) headlight switch and rear wiper switch bulbs out, soldered in new ones
4) replaced rear wiper arm (wasn't touching windshield)
5) roof leaks from both front and rear pillars, pulled the roof grommets for the lights, cleaned them off, and put them back down with silicone, hasn't leaked since
6) ABS and T/C lights on dash, had to pull the EBCM and have it refurbished
7) sagging weather stripping on front doors, had to pull it, clean it off, silicone it back down
8) radiator leaking, replaced it, installed a separate trans cooler while I was at it
9) hood latch wouldn't shut, had to bend it back into place
10) my heated seats don't work, haven't tried fixing this yet, the pads are sewn into the leather seats
11) battery kept dying, previous owner wired the head unit and rear DVD's wrong
12) drivers master switch panel was broken and glued down by previous owner, had to pull it and fix properly

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Almost any Hummer you buy at this point is going to be a "project." I have not had any mechanical issues with mine (yet). They are very fun to drive and the best vehicle in bad weather. I plan on keeping mine forever. I basically use mine as a "weekend toy" I would not recommend it for a daily driver unless you live very close to work and can do a lot of the work on it yourself.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by H2sick
Ive owned 2 H2's and both of them had water leaks. im surprised i haven't seen anyone post this yet lol. still hunting down the leak on mine right now water keeps coming into the cab through the handle on the A pillar. besides that and the mirrors not folding its been awesome
Water enters through the marker lights. Typical leak; although there is another leak that had been haunting me for a few years. H2 under the exterior windshield wiper cover is a blower motor access door. Possibly put there to clean out leaves periodically, which no one ever does....This door has a rubber seal around it that disintegrates with time. Water then begins to trickle past it , past the blower motor and into the passenger cab. Leak is perceived to be coming from the A pillars but it is not. Found a video on you tube explaining this leak; Guy and his son. Clean and re silicone / or duct tape this door shut. No more tearing out the headliner or side panels chasing down this passenger floorboard leak! Occurred at 230000 miles, California climate.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:07 AM
Banned

"I would not recommend it for a daily driver unless you live very close to work and can do a lot of the work on it yourself. "

You are correct. Although I do most all my maintenance myself. It is a daily driver averaging 14mpg on a 70 mile round trip. At 230000 miles now, extremely comfortable and demands respect from bubbles as well as 18 wheelers. Highway miles are not as taxing on the rigs. Reemphasizing very dependable AWD with frequent synthetic fluid changes in all holes, including but not limited to : Antifreeze, Gear oil, Power brake, Power steering, Trans, and Engine. I would also recommend a PCV catch can on your rigs. At a 4000 mile service, I always pull out about 1oz of oil from the catch can that would have been burned in the combustion chamber.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:11 AM

When you say Zap you mean you killed it?
If so how does one NOT Zap theirs?

Quick Reply: Most common problems with H2's