Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Most common problems with H2's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 PM

Just had my windshield replaced. The guy told me re-seal the fwd cab lights. The is the main way water gets into the cabin.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:23 AM
Default 2008 H2 Luxury

Suspension Air compressor at 50K (Warranty). This week@92K: Front crash sensor (service air bags code B008) and Transfer case encoder motor (service 4WD code). Rear door lock actuator at 90k, front clearance corner light rattles(fixed with silicone).
It all sounds annoying, but I love the truck and would buy a new one WHEN they have their revival!

Old 05-02-2015, 12:39 PM

Millions of V8 GM truck engines, from 98 I think, to 2007, and the H3 Inline-5 has faulty exhaust manifold bolts. The cast and aluminum heats at different paces, causing the bolts to break after constant cold/hot tempering. I suggest every H2 owner, which it happens to most commonly, to buy new bolts and change them out one by one as to not break the gaskets seal. This most often occurs at around 100k miles, but happened to me at 56k.
GM is well aware of this, but hadn't recalled it, still to date. Even after warranty is expired, they will still fix them, even if it comes down to having to remove the heads and sending them out to a machine shop. I know someone who had it done 100% covered by GM at 80k miles. I, just before, tipped my hand to Gm that I will pay a portion. They gave me an offer for them to pay 60% of any cost incurred and I was responsible for the remaining.
The manifolds were removed, the bolt was able to be extracted without further incident on both sides and I got a new seal and bolts as a result.
The dealer charged about half the total amount, I think for the service center to appease the Regional Manager that I was dealing with. So, the bill total should have been about 1800$, but was about 500$.
We achieved these factory coverages without warranty by doing extensive research, suggesting a class-action law suit and letting them understand that it is something that should be at their expense. But seriously, go check your bolts and check for evidence of leaks at the bolt heads (soot) or cracks or voids. You can avoid this for a $20 cost and a wrench.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dry Heat
Just had my windshield replaced. The guy told me re-seal the fwd cab lights. The is the main way water gets into the cabin.
Is is a great idea. Noticed water dripping from my forward assist handle drivers side. Checked driver left clearance light and it was broken between screw portion and bulb area, thus the under seal was separated from the roof panel. I decided just to order blacked out clearance lights and LED's. They do seal nicely, but id does seem that there is nothing like a new factory sealed unit.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 PM

When having a windshield replaced, which I did on my first H2, make sure the company replacing or dealer replacing adds double sided tape to side front mouldings or buy new ones. At speeds of about 60 or higher, we always got wind noise afterwards.
I called the guy and asked about it. He said, to the affect, "shoot, I should have put double sided tape, I know that happens on those trucks." He offered to take care of it no problem, awesome guy, but we drove it like that and traded it in the same.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:14 AM

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Old 05-06-2015, 01:11 AM

Same problem. The glass guy is coming to fix it tomorrow.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:49 PM

2003 H2 93K
Rear liftgate handle broke.
Power steering cooler.
Rear air springs-- in progress.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Banned

2003 hummer h2

Rear plastic trim, rattling noise at speed. Fixed with silicone.
Rear airbag removal and install coil springs. No issues at all after this.
Drained transfer case ATF oil and replaced with Gear Oil. No more shavings when changing oil. T Case running strong at 180000
Rebuilt 4L60E 1400 USD. It just started slipping. Rumor is oil pressure drops due to bad internal donut gasket making 3 and 4 frictions slip to infinity.
Gauges on the blink. Removed panel and shipped for repair. Return and plug in install.
Replaced front driver seat skin. Sold online with video instruction of install.
Replaced oil pressure regulator
Replaced fuel pump 3 times. Dont let fuel go below 1/4 tank. Fuel cools pump.
synthetic oil changes every 4000 miles
synthetic gear oil changed every 30000 miles.
Trans fluid replaced every 30000 miles
rear passenger window regulator failure. Replaced
Front bearings both sides replaced. Grinding, popping when turning.
Front marker lights siliconed due to water entry.
Windshield washer motor replaced.
stock plastic radiator replace with all aluminum radiator.
Oil cooler lines removed due to leaks and installed oil cooler bypass.
tune up at 100,000 miles (new plugs and wires)
Replaced serpentine belt and ac belt (preventive maintenance)
Alternator replaced once.
Magnaflow muffler installed.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by VegasGuy
This is a thread for "most common" problems. First time I've heard that one. Maybe I missed all the other door lock problem posts.
So how does anyone know if it is common if the first, second, third.....person doesn't start reporting?

Quick Reply: Most common problems with H2's