PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Default Mechanical Problems

HELP, I have an 04 limited edition H2 w/ 75K softly driven miles. Truck has been pretty reliable not withstanding the "known" issues that other owners share; undercarriage vibration, popping sound when turning etc.

However, this summer I began pulling a 5000lbs boat and beyond the challenges of the 4 speed transmission and a unique alternator issue (3rd replacement in less than a year), I now have a speedometer failing (reads wrong speed and utlimately ends flat at 0 until restarting engine), an exhaust manifold leak/crack and a transaxal oil leak. The truck has always been serviced at the dealers where purchased new and I continue to get feedback that these are known issues but not typical on H2's with as low of miles as mine.

Any thoughts or recommendations as really like the truck and even considered an 08 but have a really bad taste from the recurring mechanical problems that GM/Hummer don't want to address and/or offset cost towards... are these normal problems?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM

There is a TSB out there for the popping noise. either steering or frame bushings. My 2007 H2 had a popping noise in the frame. Dealer installed all new bushings on frame. Noise went away. Speedo sounds like a bad gauge.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks and like you, popping noise was resolved sometime ago via same solution. Hopefully your 07 doesn't encounter any of my other stated problems.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM

All of the problems you have encountered are totally normal. And yes even at the miles you have they are normal problems.

Just wait very soon you will be replacing tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, hubs and ball joints. Ohh yeah and that peskey intake manifold gasket likes to leak.

Here is the thing though. Any shop that works on trucks can work on the H2. Its not an H1. These parts that wear out on the H2 are relatively cheap (compaired to other trucks in its class like H1, Lexus, Range Rover etc...) as well.

So here is the deal. They only made roughly 150K H2's. Replace these items as they wear out and keep the truck you will have a classic that you will be able to get parts for in the years to come.

But if your not really a "car guy" then its time to dump your H2 cause your gonna spend some jack on it....

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM

servo motor on speedometer going out I bought 3 last year for $10 a piece.Seems like all gm trucks up to 2005 has that problem around 40,000 miles. Not hard to replace yourself but dealer wants 3 to 4 hundred bucks.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks for feedback as I have no expectations that any vehicle will be maintenance free, instead, I've just grown concerned of late regarding my H2 because it went from basically no mechanical issues to 1 after another since regularly pulling boat. I wasn't sure if the added load was creating problems (and thus more to come) and/or poor engineering given that many of these breakages at my miles and style of driving seem premature. (buddy has had 2 H2's both with 110K to 140K of miles driven much harder and never any of my said issues)

Ultimately, I'm a huge fan of H2's and don't really want to go to another brand truck but wasn't sure if worth it to repair or consider buying an 08/09 (drove 08 for a small period of time and with its bigger engine and, more importantly, 6 speed transmission, it was clearly more capable and willing to pull boat weight)....