PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Making the change from ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:37 AM

Yeah that one did not sound good at all and for sure one to walk away from.

Remember, unlike the GM trucks these are always in 4WD. 4hi is the standard normal mode. The H2's full-time four-wheel-drive system can be operated in five different modes.
* 4-High
* 4-High Lock
* 4-Low Lock
* 4-Low Lock with rear differential locked (rear diff lock will only engage in 4-Low Lock)
* Neutral (only used if towing the vehicle)

Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM

That's good to know, so it will always have one light lit on it? being 4-high for normal opperation? i've driven fords all my life, got my ranger at 18, explorer at 19, expedition at 21, excursion at 23, and now i'm 33. One of hte appeals of the hummer to me is using mostly GM truck parts, which makes spares and replacements plentiful and cheap.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM

You're right to pass on the rust bucket. I also found out the hard way that there's an additive out there that makes knocks disappear. Mine didn't knock until about a month after buying it. Guy I deal with found it at auction in FL with a 4.5 out of 5 auction internal rating so we jumped on it. Tried several treatments so far but noting stops the knock. Man I gotta find that stuff!

My motto for years or at least since my 1st wife is: clothes hide a multitude of sins. Yeah, don't ask. But a nice and gussied up exterior and/or interior will never make up for the probs you found on this baby under the body. They may get prettier at losing time but you have to wake up with them. This was a scary one, nice pass.

On the full-time 4wd, depending on where you live it can be a butt saver. Never realized what the truck was doing for me till I bought a 4wd Nissan Titan for my daughter. Where the Hummer just seemed to drive normally the Nissan had to be put in 4wd and left there. Slipped and skidded a few times before I understood what was going on. With the H2 I just drive most of the time. Main issue is guarding against overconfidence in it, which is why I'm looking for a good winch.

Last edited by flyday58; 03-17-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added 4wd content cos, once again, I commented on the wrong page...
Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 AM

I got a similar lesson from my first wife. Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's good for the long haul. I could heave settled and rolled out of there, but I want something that is going to last me.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by FatJay
I'm going to see this one on saturday:
2003 Used HUMMER H2 HEATED SEATS, LEATHER at Prestige Auto Group Serving Avenel, NJ, IID 14918496

The only thing that stands out is the airbag does not match the steering wheel, which makes me think the airbag has deployed at some point.
In early 03 h2's they had the green colored airbag cover

Old 03-17-2017, 12:46 PM

I'm actually passing on that one for now, i really don't like the water damage in the headliner. I'll gladly pay an extra grand or two to get one without it. Maybe next weekend if I don't like the ones I have lined up this weekend.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by FatJay
That's good to know, so it will always have one light lit on it? being 4-high for normal opperation?........
Yes - for normal operation the 4-high light should always be on... If its not then that would be something to worry about.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Going to see two tomorrow.

One is an 04 for 16.9k, 92k miles.

The other is an 07 for 25.9k, 74k miles.

I have to say I'm a bit partial to the blue, however I'm also attracted to saving $9000. Both look in very good condition, the nav would be nice, I doubt the entertainment system would ever get used. Kids, iphones, ipads, etc.

I couldn't tell if either have satelite radio, do they all have it, or is it an option?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:10 AM

If you've got a few take a look at greaterchicagomotors.com. Almost bought one here till I found one closer to home. Still sorta wished I had gone with what they had. They've got three H2s right now.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:19 AM

While I would agree, I'm also partial to the blue one that is a BIG price difference. Granted the blue one is 3 years newer with 20k less miles on it though.

Other key differences.
Blue has the exterior spare tire mount (around a grand used for the parts to change one from the inside mount). You lose a LOT of space inside with the spare mounted inside. Mine came with the inside mount and I'm just going without a spare tire (if I go on a long road trip or wheeling I'll take it with).
The catch though - the exterior spare tire mount is inconvenient and annoying when you want to put something in the back.

Blue has the third row seat. May or may not be a plus to you. To find one used is $400 to $600 if you wanted to add that to the red one.

Blue has the factory navigation. Although I'd say the factory nav is dated and not the best out there. Blue also has the rear seat monitors in the headrests.

Blue also has the chrome factory wheels - much harder to find than the brushed ones.

Blue has the "global windows" buttons on the drivers door heated seat switch. These roll all the windows up/down at once. I'm actually going to try and add this to my 2003.

Blue has both of its roof rack rails. Red appears to be missing those. Few hundred bucks to find them used if you wanted them.

Red has the factory front brush guard. More rugged look and if you go wheeling or plan to that can be good to have.

All in all blue has considerably more which is nice. But is that extra plus newer and lower mileage $9000 nice?

On satellite radio. I'm not sure to be honest without seeing the decal in the glovebox lid which lists all the RPO codes for the vehicle. For factory XM radio you will want to see U2K on the decal in the glovebox lid.

Quick Reply: Making the change from ford