PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 'leans"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:16 PM

Well, I can't get the nut off the left front shock, can't keep the inner spindle from turning. So looks like I'm getting out the dremel and cutting off the nut and/or spindle. At least I got the bump stop changed out.
The 'leans"-img_4618.jpg
The 'leans"-img_4619.jpg

Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM

You know, I didn't even think of looking under the plastic boot for the shock rod!
The 'leans"-homer_doh.thumbnail.jpgGuess I'll wait till the temp warms up to the mid 90s, kinda chilly out there now in the mid 80s. Brrr.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by flyday58
Well, I can't get the nut off the left front shock, can't keep the inner spindle from turning. So looks like I'm getting out the dremel and cutting off the nut and/or spindle. At least I got the bump stop changed out.
Attachment 8833
Attachment 8834
Thats what my bump stops looked like!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Well, macht nichts. Finally got a grip on the shock, nut turned maybe a quarter turn, then the stud busted off. THE DEALER must have used an air wrench to install the old one. Anyway, one down, three to go!
The 'leans"-img_4627.jpgThe 'leans"-img_4620.jpg

Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 PM

Learned all this stuff in the 70s and 80s, forgot how much F.U.N. it was. Right side came loose no probs, left side must have been really smoked down.

Still weighing options on the coils. Might keep the air bags, don't want to just jump on the bandwagon. But I do know the bags aren't inflating evenly. Looks like the leveling bracket on the left side is bent a little. More investigating to do...
The 'leans"-img_4634.jpgThe 'leans"-img_4633.jpg

Old 08-27-2015, 04:07 PM

Finally got smart on the last shock, made getting it out a whole lot easier.
The 'leans"-img_4637.jpg

So shocks are done, now on to the coils. Maybe.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:04 AM

Keep us posted on the coils. Been thinking about replacing mine as well.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Retired Baby Boomer
The shocks will not fix your sagging and lean problem. The coils are what corrects your suspension. My back end was down 3.5'' inches on my passenger side and 3'' on my drivers side. My front was at 41.5''s on the passenger side and 42'' on the drivers side. (you would think it would have been the other way around because of the 32 gallon gas tank is on the drivers side and 200lbs when full). I was just tired of being out with my H2 and going into a store and coming back out 1/2 hour later and it would be squatting in the rear and it looked like s--t. Here's a picture after the new Arnott C-2138 coils. These coils are settled in now and I love the ride and stance at 42'' all around. Stock 315/70R17's.
I knew the shocks weren't causing the leans, but they looked older than the PO claimed, he didn't have a receipt for when he said he changed them, and since we're moving to the mountains I wanted to start with new parts.

Will continue debating coils vs new air bags. Was able to get all the bolts holding the compressor tray loose without busting any off, so I know I can remove it no probs. Might go to the 2-stage unit if I stay with bags. If they go I might be able to squeeze one of my train horns into the space. Guess I'll decide after we move next month.

Good-lookin truck, I should get one!

Last edited by flyday58; 08-28-2015 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add smart-aleck comment...
Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Figured it out. PO had the right air bag replaced, and it's almost an inch shorter than the left one, which looks original. That one says 'Firestone' on it and is pretty well weather-cracked.

But I've decided to go with coils at this point. Anyone have a solution for the air suspension dash notification? Or do you just live with it?

Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM

Took a little time but swapped out the air bags for Arnott coils last weeked. Truck is almost level now but may have to futz with the keys a little, PO always took it to the local Chevy dealer for work and I spect they may have jacked one side when the replaced the one air bag and not both.
Got a good bit of cancer on the underside so not sure I can break any bolts loose without snapping them off, but the lower arms are worn where the torsion bars go in so gotta get them replaced somehow. Winter project I guess, but like @Lojac963 I barely have roof clearance with the garage door now with the coils installed.
Still have to disconnect whatever I need to to stop the leveling system from trying to level the truck. I dead-ended the left and right shock lines into the pump so it doesn't run but the system tries to vent air to bring the rear down - click click click click - and the check air suspension message keeps coming on. Wanted to keep the air fill station so that's why I didn't just yank everything out. Pulled the relay by the right front wheel but didn't work. On the road till Sunday so I'll look at it when I get home.

Quick Reply: The 'leans"