PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kayak In A H2 Roof.. impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 PM
Default Kayak In A H2 Roof.. impossible?

Anyone came with a solution for a Kayak roof rack (J rack)
I got a cheap one and a very expensive Yakima but none works
The clamp only opens up to 3.5 inches
Hummer OEM crossbar needs 4 inches
Any DIY or brand that works

Old 07-27-2016, 12:29 AM

Really..I'm the only with a hummer and a kayak but not way to match it

Old 07-27-2016, 02:56 PM

No, you are not the only one. I posted the same question on another forum and got pretty much the same non-answer. Some suggestions for using a split pool noodle or pipe insulation on the bars then strap the kayaks on top. According to the Yakima site fitment guide, their JayLow J-racks will fit. I fear it just falls into the "universal" category as they have nothing specific for the H2 and it really doesn't fit, but maybe? There is also a Thule one that they claim works but requires an adapter kit (not clear if it also requires the $$$$ thule cross bars). My issue is I have two Kayaks and I hate the idea of paying 3 times the price (or more) for a Yakima/Thule when I have doubts that they would fit any better.

One of these days I may go down to REI and have them actually try to find something that fits, but for now I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended).

The Yakima one you have, is it the JayLow?

The only suggestion I have for you is to use something to pad the cross bars and just strap your Kayak on.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the replay

Don't go with yakima ... it doesn't fit . I tried and the clamps open only up to 3.5 inches

Don't want to keep spending $ on thule

Next step is to build a simple alumnum rack to attach to the crossbar then use the cheap J from amazon

Will post

Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

I am sorry, I do not seem to understand the dilemma? I do not have an H2, but I did notice that the H3 Roof bars made it difficult for the cheap ebay J racks that I have to fit properly, but by simply replacing the bolts that go through to the bottom of the rack clamp with longer ones, they work fine even though the shape of the bottom clamp plate was too narrow to completely wrap around the roof rack bars.

The clamps were plenty wide the other way.

Maybe we need some pics?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 AM

Exactly like Doc says. My J-racks have a 2 piece clamp. Just needed 4 longer bolts and everything is fine.
My J-racks are a bargain brand that came from Ocean State Job Lot (an overstock/salvage type chain store in New England)
I don't use them for a kayak though, I use them to carry my OzTent which is much heavier than a kayak.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 PM

While I have considered buying a set of cheap J-racks to see if I could modify them to make them work, the issue with the H2 is different than the H3. It's not just that longer bolts are needed (which would be simple), the issue is the bolts are not far enough apart. The H2 cross bars are a full 4" wide, and something like 2.5" thick.

For example:

Where it shows 3.5" it would need to be something larger than 4". I'm sure with some scrap metal and some welding they could be made to work, but I'm not a welder and I'd much prefer to buy something that works in the first place.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:41 PM

Yes the issue are the bars to wide.

I guess I found a simple solution to use the cheap amazon J rack

I will cut a small hole on the crossbar side to allow the bolt to pass . The bars are strong enough so asmall hole shouldn't be a problem
Also will look for a plug to cover when not in use
the rack can't be modified at least the one I got
Will post

Btw what kayak do you own

Last edited by H2Miami; 07-28-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM

Just a couple small budget ones we picked up dirt cheap at a Sports Authority store closing sale. My wife has an 8' Lifetime Volt 101 and I grabbed a 10' Lifetime Tamarack Angler. We live about a block from a 52 acre private neighborhood lake so the little 2 wheel kayak karts have been ok. It would be nice to throw them on top of the H2 and hit up other areas. Worst case, we have a small pick-up we could use but that wouldn't cut it for a camping trip where we need our comfort gear.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:27 PM

I will post the results for the Mod (if works)

Quick Reply: Kayak In A H2 Roof.. impossible?