Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Installing a cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Lightbulb Installing a cabin air filter

Most Hummer H2's do not have a provision for a cabin air filter. This is easily remidied with a few simple tools, a dremel cutter / grinder and about 20 minutes. The HVAC housing used on the hummer is the same as used on other GM vehicles. It is molded in a plastic cavity that has an insert mold option. For "Non Hummers" this is installed and the mold produces a part that has an opening for the filter to slide in. For Hummers this insert is removed and the resultant molded piece is filled in BUT there is a witness mark left where the opening should be.

There are also other posts on this forum showing how this should look on a vehicle with the cabin filter option.

The Hummer HVAC housing can easily be modified to accept a cabin air filter. After removing the cover, take a small dremel tool with a thin cutting wheel or mill bit. Cut INSIDE the molded lines on the housing. I say Inside, because this will result in a hole SMALLER than what you need and you can trim and sand to fine tune. Run the cutter slow or you will just melt the plastic.

Once cut, trim the edges and test fit the filter. Before buttoning up, get a thin vacuum cleaner attachment nozzle and clean all the schmekis out that will ultimately be clogging up the small radiator in there.

Slide the filter in and Viola! Life is good.

To seal the opening, you can use the "Universal" method: Get some Black Plastic Body Tape (at any autoparts store) and about 14" of Door Sealing Foam strip. Tape into place. It works amazing well and completely seals. Every time you change the filter you will need to replace the tape and foam. One roll of each will last you the lifetime of the car.

If you really want to be slick....Go to a junkyard and find an Escalade, Sierra, Avalanche, blah, blah, blah... and remove the little door and the one screw. This can be installed right in place as the screw mounting boss is molded into the Hummer housing already.

Sit back and breathe the dust free air.......

Attached Thumbnails Installing a cabin air filter-hummer-cabin-filter-install.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Very cool mod! Does anyone know if this will work with a 2008 H2? 2005 Silverado 2500HD? 2004 Tahoe? 2007 Tahoe? 2008 GMC Sierra K1500?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Very nice post!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM

This mod will definitely work on all H2's. The HVAC box was the same every year. Can't validate other GM products.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Default Cabin air filter access door

Does anyone know the GM part number for that piece? Meaning the cover with the two screws. I believe it is called the access door.

I am downloading alldata disks, hopefully that will have it.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by jayfrindt
Does anyone know the GM part number for that piece? Meaning the cover with the two screws. I believe it is called the access door.

I am downloading alldata disks, hopefully that will have it.
Did you find the part number for the access door? Anyone else do this mod? Its very tempting but I'm having issues cutting up my HVAC box

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Its Hummer Time
Did you find the part number for the access door? Anyone else do this mod? Its very tempting but I'm having issues cutting up my HVAC box

I Second that - living in Arizona this would be a great asset!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Thumbs up

Great post!! Thats a nice mod! I may have to do that.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

It's a $6 part....

I can't give you the partnumber.... but I can provide you guys with a link to purchase your own.

I used a 2001 Chevy Silverado.... I think it's the same on all 99-02 vehicles....

but I am not sure....

I don't want angry emails over $6.

GM Parts | GM Accessories | GM Parts House Store

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Update: I live in El Paso, so this mod definitely helps prevent the "interior dust storm" everytime I start the car. Yes, you could always run on recirc, but I like the air exchange capability. I chose the cheap route and continue to use the tape method. No problems with leaking or tape coming off, and you cannot see it. For those interested in trying this i'll try to add a bit more detail to ally any fear of cutting into the exchanger core. Because it IS very close. When you make the cut make it as close to the passenger side right where the flat spot begins to curve upward. You essentially have to make 4 cuts. (It's a rectangle right!?). Make the one the farthest to the right (passenger side) first. This will give you visibility to the heat exhanger and where you are in relation to this. I went WAY conservative at first and cut a small slit and bent it back to get a looksee. You can always cut bigger. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Installing a cabin air filter