Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

I need some serious advice!! H2 w rust problems????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Default RE: I need some serious advice!! H2 w rust problems????

www.por15.com

Paint right over the rust, that stuff is pretty bullet proof.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 AM

There is a product called rust x . it neutralizes the rust it is very good. not sure where to get but you google and try to find.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM

Hey thanks very much to everyone that has given feedback, that's why I am a HUMMER owner and i use HUMMER FORUMS!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 AM

Well i have been inspecting my rig and noticed there is surface rust by my pedals, i opened the glove and noticed some surface rust on the metal behind the glove, and under the back seats, has anyone seen this before? it came from michigan, is that kind of surface rust common?? or is there something fishy about this

Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Like I mentioned before the only way to stop from further rusting is using a product that has 98% zinc or more and is resin based this is the only way to create a true cathodic protection, nothing else will work. I am familiar with only one product and that is Zinga, I doubt there is another one with the same characteristics. The difference, on a new steel sheet; you can use a paint with 90% zinc or better this will give you a semi cathodic protection, still the under carriage of a car is exposed to mechanical shocks, paint will come off and if you drive around in a aggressive environment the same problem will occur.

If you already experience a full rust penetration (i.e. both sides of the steel sheet is rusted) you will need to cut those areas out and replace. My advice talk to a hummer dealership or otherwise call GM. This is not a small problem.

Roland

Old 12-21-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks Roland for the advice, I am so disturbed that this is going on, i am going to put it on the lift today and steel brush it, and paint it, do u recommend anything that i can buy in the mean time from home depot or something?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Greg,

First talk to GM; I would not touch the vehicle at this time. Let’s see what they suggest.
I assume when you bought the vehicle the dealership did not make you aware that there was a rust problem.
In case GM neither the dealer takes any responsibility and you want to keep the vehicle, I would start repairing the sheet metal.

I would not put anything on it as long the rusty sheet metal is not replaced, it won’t do any good anyway.

Roland

Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 PM

I took mine to the dealer when I first noticed it and they said SURFACE RUST IS NORMAL!!??[8D]

I even said "but i paid for RUSTPROOFING??" and they said that if something RUSTS THROUGH, it's covered, but not SURFACE RUST!![:@]

Old 12-22-2007, 01:22 AM

Eastwood has some great stuff for rust removing etc. http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 AM

Thanks Gunny I might have to try some of those products!!!

Quick Reply: I need some serious advice!! H2 w rust problems????